Saturday, September 24, 2011

Check this Out! If Funds Permit, Buy It Now

Tonner's Check This Out! Collection:  Tyler, Esmé, and Sydney

Most doll collectors experience a sense of regret when a desired doll slips from their grasp for any reason. When the reason is self-induced, such as a failure to buy a desired doll when it was readily available, collectors are likely to experience the recurring thought, “I should have purchased it when.” This thought can both hurt and haunt.

A fortunate few eventually locate the doll on the secondary market; but often the doll’s acquisition comes with a cost far greater than the doll’s original retail. Ouch! The above-retail cost on the secondary market frequently causes the, “I should have purchased it when,” feeling to resurface again and again.

Each time I see another collector’s Check This Out! Esmé (CTOE) by Robert Tonner from the Tyler Wentworth Collection 2006/2007, I experience regret and disgust with myself for not purchasing the doll before it sold out. This happened recently when I viewed the “Women of the World” image on Son of Ellis’s blog. His CTOE is the center doll redressed in school attire.

Why do I want a CTOE of my own?

Esmé’s short Afro is very appealing to me. As I have written before, I love dark skinned dolls with natural textured hair, but not just any dark skinned doll with textured hair will do. Esmé’s attractive face, particularly her eyes, and her stylish fashion add to her appeal. As the stock photograph of the dolls in this collection illustrates, CTOE’s original fashion includes a white tank, white jacket, and light blue and white check Capri’s. Not shown in the image are her light blue slingback shoes. The doll’s articulation is a plus.

I remain determined. Check This Out! Esmé will be part of my collection for a price I am willing to pay. I want her… I need her… I should have purchased her five years ago!

Maybe Tonner will produce a similar doll and add even more articulation, maybe one that is playscale size (now wouldn't that be great?). If he does, with funds permitting, I will preorder her immediately.

Which dolls have eluded your grasp?

dbg
Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

8 comments:

  1. I shudder to think of the size of the lottery win I would need to get hold of all the dolls I have missed that I really, really want. My Grails list is about a mile and a half long.

    This particular Esme would be a VERY nice addition to that list, she is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, if a substantial lottery win were in the mix with reference to available dolly funds, I would have to purchase a new house just for the dolls I've missed and for those I'd want in the future. Thank God dreaming is free.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! I am SAFE! Finally! Whoo hoo!

    Dancing around. So glad her size puts her beyond my interest. Now if she were playscale ... I would be crying ... crying ... crying ....

    But I get a reprieve here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I have my Terrence Howard, I can say I haven't missed out on any that I just HAVE TO HAVE. There are always dolls that I wouldn't mind adding. I may come back later if something pops into my head. Good luck on finding this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Vanessa, and congratulations again on finding TH.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking for one for you. no luck so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate that. Miladyblue shared information about one with me about a week or so ago. I have contacted the vendor, who still has it. I would really like to pay a little less than her price, but I may wind up getting that one anyway. I'll make my decision within the next week or so and of course post an update if I purchase it. Thanks so much for looking out for me!

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!