Monday, June 25, 2012

Patience Yields a New Look for Model 8

A new, more brown than auburn 1/6-scale doll wig arrived a couple of weeks ago, packaged in a pretty handmade box with a cute note card from Loanne of Tabloach Productions.  I could tell this wig and everything that accompanied it was made with love and care.  I also knew my patronage was appreciated.

At the moment of purchase, choosing a doll to wear the wig became a challenge because I have an extreme phobia about shaving a doll's perfectly good head of hair.  Cutting any doll's hair, even a dime... wait, I mean, a dollar store doll's hair is difficult for me.  This is more avoidance behavior than phobia.  I associate doll hair shaving with intentional doll damage.  Therefore, I avoid permanently altering a doll in that way.  Perhaps this is something I will overcome in the future, but right now, I choose not to do it.

Now, I did fall in love with this particular wig when I saw the online image on Facebook, which  appeared auburn.   Since 2001, when my grandson was born with a headful of auburn, actually fiery red hair, I have had an affinity for auburn haired black dolls.  Throughout his decade +1 years, Grandson's hair has become more sandy brown with red highlights and is now worn closely cropped, but I still love black dolls with auburn hair. 

I chose BB Model 8 from the "Denim Collection" to wear this wig because her original short gelled hairstyle did not require cutting for the wig to fit.  Since June 2011, she had worn a Limbe Dolls braided wig.  After initially trying on the Tabloach wig, which did not seem to work well for her, I replaced her true auburn braided wig and stored the Tabloach wig in the original box.

Viewing a similar Tabloach wig last week in a Chynadoll Creations post, prompted me to work with the new wig a little more.  I determined that Model 8's clothing may have been in the way of her new wig, so I removed the tunic and scarf  (part of a LIV, Liv'n Fab fashion) that she'd been wearing over her original black tank top and skinny jeans.  With that, she was already beginning to wear the wig well.  "Earrings... she needs earrings," I thought.  A quick trip to the beauty supply store's 99 cents earrings section yielded her modified "Basketball Wives" earrings. 


Prior to my modification, Model 8's new earrings had been nearly 6 inches long!  The above image illustrates the bottom 4 inches that I snipped off.

Wearing the new wig and earrings, I took several photos of "Jean" with and without the camera's flash.   Her best close-up and full-length photos are shown below.

Barbie Basics Model 8, Denim Collection, in new wig and new dangle earrings

Jean and I love her new wig!  All it took was patience on my part and the correct fashion and accessories for her to "work" it.

dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

Please visit and "Like" The Doll Blogs: When Dolls Speak I Listen

9 comments:

  1. "You better work....Work it girl." These comment sections really should allow us to sing. She looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gave me a good chuckle this morning, Vanessa! Thanks!

      She is sashaying all over the doll room. Maybe I should name her ShantΓ© instead of Jean.


      dbg

      Delete
  2. she looks great!!! I LOVE the wig - and the earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way she looks with her new wig! Your patience certainly did pay off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roxanne! Chynadoll's Karrin motivated me to exercise it.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. Holy wow! What a transformation a little hair makes. She looks like a totally different girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does look different (in a very good way) doesn't she, Muff?
      :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  5. She looks great!! She has such a pretty face! She is rocking those earrings!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!