Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Braxton-Hicks Angel

Third trimester (8 months)

Thirty-five years ago today, the day of the week was Sunday.  Husband and I had gone to eat Mexican food the evening before after which we walked the mall to expedite the delivery of our first-born child whose proposed due date was November 7, 2012.  I am not sure if it was the Mexican cuisine or the walking that caused the "bloody show."  After informing my doctor of this symptom, he instructed me to go to the hospital where I had already been preadmitted.  His plan was to induce labor, which was not really necessary but the bloody show was a reason that he could attempt to control the date of delivery.

By 9 p.m., November 5, 1977, my husband and I were in the labor and delivery unit of the hospital with my mother and sister waiting nervously outside.  Owing to her nervous stomach, I would later learn that my sister actually became ill during the waiting period.  Poor thing.

My mother and sister in waiting room

Things went smoothly that Saturday evening.  After the IV of Pitocin was started, I began experiencing mild labor pains, Braxton-Hicks type, a little more painful than menstrual cramps.  Nonchalantly, I asked the first set of nurses who attended me, "Is this all there is to it?"  I didn't read the meaning of their silence and glances at one another and then back at me.  I continued to assume that I was experiencing true labor pains and that my planned natural birth delivery would be a breeze.

Shortly before their shift ended, the nurses wished me good luck and introduced me to the women who would take over in their absence.  Finally, reality set in along with true labor pains.  I had never experienced such severe pain in my life!  It was as though my insides were being torn into microscopic pieces to inflict extreme, unrelenting torture.  I wanted to die, but first, as I informed my husband, "Let's-go-home! I-don't-want-to-do-this!"  His reply was, "Debbie, we can't go home.  You can do this.  You have to." 

Everything from that point until 3:58 a.m., Sunday, November 6, 1977, when I gave birth to my beautiful, 8-pound 9-ounce daughter is a blur.  I was glad it was over and after seeing my little angel, I knew I would do it all over again if she would be the reward.

First photo

Six weeks postpartum

At age 4

Happy birthday to my first born angel, Angela, who will always be my baby girl. 

This one final (fuzzy) picture adds a doll relevance to this post:
Daughter, age 8 with Berjusa doll, two Cabbage Patch dolls (holding), and a handmade CPK look alike.
My first born with her first born (this photo, taken in 2015, was added in 2016, four years after this post was originally published).

  
dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

Please visit and "Like" The Doll Blogs: When Dolls Speak I Listen

9 comments:

  1. Awww, look at that face! Happy birthday, Angela!

    I've never had the joy or pain of delivery. After hearing your painful story, my insides are very happy right about now. Of course, I'm sure I would handle it just fine..... with a little help from epidural. I do applaud you for your natural birth efforts, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Happy Birthday to your angel ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from Spain: Congratulations to your daughter. I feel identified with your pains. Are pains like I broke inside ... When we see the face of our babies is the best thing ever. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, this is a beautiful story Debbie! Happy Birthday to your sweet angel! I love the picture of her and her dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photo of you feeding her is too sweet. You have this expression of, "Pain? What pain? Look at how precious she is."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your daughter! Thanks for sharing your poignant photos and experience. The picture of your daughter at age 4 is especially precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to your daughter and wishing her all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your comments. We celebrated her special day last night. I fell asleep afterward and awoke at midnight with another reason to celebrate.

    Yesterday was indeed a beautiful day.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the black cabbage patch dolls as much as I love the first black baby alives.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!