Monday, July 1, 2013

Tonner Girls Rock 'N Roll



It was 2010 when I first saw Twoonia Syke’s Jac as Lisa Bonet repaint.  I developed a longing for a Tonner Jac/Jon sculpt with thoughts of having Twoonia repaint and loc the doll in Lisa Bonet style.  Backing up a bit, I admired from afar Tonner’s dark-skinned beauty, Sterling Kagiso, when introduced in 2008 (same head sculpt).  At the time, I was not very much interested in 16-inch fashion dolls.   I owned a few, but my doll focus was elsewhere. 

Tonner's Perfect Morning Basic Jon and dark-skinned Jac sculpt repaint by Twoonia Sykes

As fate would have it, recently I saw a dark-skinned Jac repaint by Twoonia for a price I could not refuse.  On the same day, I discovered Tonner’s reduced price Perfect Morning Jon Basic, which included an additional 15% off and free shipping with the use of a coupon at checkout.  Man, two dolls for less than the price of one with a head sculpt that I’ve wanted for years, in two complexions… I had to buy both… just had to and I did.
Dark-skinned Jac sculpt wears part of the Rock 'N Roll Somers and Field fashion (midriff top, hot pants with gold chain belt, neon green fringed vest and matching headband).  The boots are borrowed.
Tamatchria (the name Twoonia selected) for the repaint, arrived first as a nudie that I dressed in part of a mix ‘n match Rock ‘N Roll Somers and Field fashion, introduced in 1999.  The fashion was made for the 15-inch 1960s-inspired "British Mod Birds," Daisy Field and Willow Somers, also from 1999.  The Daisy and Willow dolls were designed by Doug James and the late Laura Meisner around the time the 15- and 16-inch fashion doll craze erupted.  In 2000, I purchased three Daisy dolls and later several boxed fashions that had been drastically reduced by the Doll Market, the Rock ‘N Roll fashion being one.

Along with the hot-pants and midriff top, Tamatchria (now renamed Rhoenia because she reminds me of a friend of my daughter’s) wears replacement ankle boots borrowed from Wigged Out Lizette.   The wet-look (PVC) material used for the neon orange ankle boots and the over-the-knee boots that came with the Rock ‘N Roll fashion has weakened, literally melted in some areas after years of being enclosed.  I tried my best to salvage the boots with orange paint and sealer.  The attempt was admirable.  It is possible, however, that the boots will further deteriorate and stain the dolls' legs.  So I opted for safety over sorrow and gave those boots the boot.

A day or so after Rho arrived, UPS delivered Jon dressed in her basic black teddy and black high heels with elasticized straps.  I am convinced that black does nothing for her cafΓ© au lait complexion; a swift redress, even before photographing her in her manufactured state, was in order.  I was not overly enthused with her eye color.  Fortunately, in person her eyes appear more like Rho’s, green, instead of the blue color described on the Tonner website.   

Jon is redressed in the tunic, bell bottoms, head scarf, and light blue faux fur handbag with gold strap of the Rock 'N Roll Somers and Field fashion.  She borrowed lavender heels from another doll to complete her mod-inspired look.

I immediately dressed Jon in the remaining pieces of the Rock ‘N Roll fashion.  She had to wear the bell-bottom pants because her Antoinette body is slightly fuller than Rho’s Tyler Wentworth body.  Jon also has a longer torso and a more exposed hip/thigh joint, which would show if she wore the hot pants. 

Chicklet-looking earrings purchased at a beauty supply store for Jon and Rho

I purchased and modified two pairs of brightly colored Chicklet-looking earrings (shown above).  Two thin metal connectors were snipped to remove the lower two "chicklets."

Below are several pictures to illustrate additional ways the Rock ‘N Roll fashion can be mixed and matched along with a back pose and individual head shots (click any photo to enlarge).

Jon has borrowed Rho's vest while Rho carries the handbag.

Jon removed the bell-bottoms and retrieved the handbag while Rho remains vestless.  Not illustrated, but the bell-bottoms can also be worn with the midriff top. 
 
Hair color and length are illustrated in this shot.


The lovely Jon takes one final head shot.

One word describes Rho's beauty:  Stunning!


After some 13 years of wanting a doll or dolls (other than Daisy) to wear the Rock 'N Roll fashion, now I have two with a head sculpt I have also longed for.  Next up, maybe someone will get Lisa Bonet locs.

More Information on Somers and Field dolls, Daisy and Willow
Daisy and Willow Outfits

dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

Please visit and "Like" The Doll Blogs: When Dolls Speak I Listen

17 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a lot of fun with these ladies. They are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After overcoming my disappointment about the deterioration of the boots, I did have lots of fun mixing and matching the Somers and Field fashions on these two Tonner girls, Paulette. Thanks!

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Congrats! The Jac sculpt is one of my favorites in the 16". I have one and she sits on my workstation. Your ladies are beautiful. Love the redresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa. The Jac sculpt is one of my Tonner favorites. These two are indeed gorgeous. It's amazing how the same sculpt can look so different with a complexion change and repaint.

      My daughter emailed a photo of the repainted doll to her friend Rhoenia with a message that I think the doll looks like her. Rhoenia was at work at the time and showed the picture to her co-workers who agreed with me. She said she was honored but couldn't see it.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. She looks awesome!! I'm happy you love her ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do love her. Thanks again for allowing me to add another of your repaints to my doll family.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Bobby -- this is a huge compliment coming from you.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. So cool! I have not seen many of these dolls in peoples collections or I've just been reading mainly 1:6 blogs I guess.

    Does being larger make them more sturdy and posable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Muff,

      I think playscale bloggers outnumber those who collect other types of dolls and those who choose to blog about their dolls.

      There is a market for these taller girls, but I don't think they are more poseable than playscale. They are easier to dress!

      dbg

      Delete
  6. Both are lovely! Congrats on getting them both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How come Kagiso look bigger than another jac on the left? :)

    Im tonner collector as well .. My fav face mold is Jac and Jon-- well infact its the same Jac mold lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heels of her boots make her appear taller than Jon.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. well infact The size of the head look different too--i look at the 1st pic seemed like kagiso gets bigger head and neck too.

      Delete
    3. Their head size may be different because their bodies definitely are. They appear to use the same head sculpt but the body was changed by the time Jon was made. If you have both dolls, examine them without clothing and you'll see the differences. The height is probably their only common feature.

      dbg

      Delete
  8. Kagiso is sold already? I saw she listed somewhere for 65$ in Sep 2012 ( maybe ur the buyer or ur the seller? :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!