Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Grandma Gets Grandpa

Mattel positioned a cardboard image of Happy Family Birthday Grandpa behind Grandma, who remains in her box.

My 2003 (box date) Mattel Happy Family Birthday Grandma had been living single because I have not been able to find the separately sold Grandpa at a price I am willing to pay.

The Candidate

Two years ago, I decided to purchase a rooted hair African American guy (Steven, Ken, whomever I could find on the secondary market at a price I was willing to pay).  The plan was to create a Grandpa for Grandma.  I chose Cali Guy Steven, shown above.  This poor guy has been lying around, literally, in the box since the July 2012 purchase.

Close-up of Cali Guy Steven before his aging process began.

This is the look I was shooting for, even though Cali Guy Steven is a few shades darker. 

 During a recent pending severe storm that had been forecast several days prior, my bottled up anxiety was released as I created Grandpa for Grandma after listening to a mini lecture from my husband on "Where's your faith?  If you are truly faithful, you would never get scared."  He laughs at me when we are in the midst of a tornadic-like storm because I get fully dressed with my shoes on and my purse and car keys nearby.  You'll never see me half-naked on the evening news with hair all over my head, reliving a horrendous experience to a news reporter.  I wouldn't relive an experience to a reporter anyway, but if I did, I'd want to be fully dressed!


Anyway... the photos and associated captions illustrate how I released my anxiety about something that never happened.  We did receive some much needed rain, but nothing more (and oh yes, I was fully dressed while aging Steven).  You just never know.

The mustache was created using several strands of salt and pepper braiding hair made of kanekalon fibers.  I held these together between a paper clip, applied Mod Podge to the very ends, and allowed time for drying.  After drying, the ends were trimmed straight, Mod Podge applied to the back, and then pressed in place underneath Steven's nose. 

I left the ends long prior to trimming the mustache to the desired size, which was a bad move because the thickness of the scissor blades caused some of the mustache to peel off.  I removed it all from his face, trimmed it to size, then reglued the tiny pieces onto his face.  Prior to doing this, I used a gray metallic permanent marker to color Steven's hair, which had been trimmed prior to this.      

A dark brown eyebrow pencil was used to wrinkle Steven's forehead and shade the smile lines in his cheeks.  The wrinkles are temporary and can be wiped off, if desired.  I dressed him in a plaid shirt, denim jeans, and navy blue loafers, which look like something a Grandpa might wear.  The back view of his new gray hair and another close-up view follows.
 
 
Thanks to poorly predicted weather, Grandma now has her Grandpa and I didn't have to pay three figures to get him.
__________

Grandma and I like everything about Grandpa except his overbearing scent.  I am not sure if the smell is from the scent Mattel gave him (as indicated on the box:  Doll is scented), or the gray temporary hair color that I tested on his hair before using the metallic marker to color it gray.  I didn't have enough of the temporary hair color and only used a very small amount, so I think the unpleasant scent is from the manufacturer. 

dbg

19 comments:

  1. You did a great job! The mustache and wrinkles are genius :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Medina! I was nervous about how he would turn out, but decided to just do it!

      dbg

      Delete
  2. My brain is bubbling over here...He is a very handsome grandpa.I never thought to add a grandma and grandpa to my world of dolls till now.What a creative way to turn stress into something good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I was able to inspire you to think about adding a pair of seniors to your collection.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Great job! I may follow your lead and use one of my Steven's to make a dad for one of my guys. Is the permanent marker really permanent. Notice any rub offs?

    Fully dressed with keys in hand.... hilarious! The news people wouldn't ask you for a recount of the storm because they only look for toothless people. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa,

      I have not noticed any rub offs, but I must admit that I intentionally did not color the hair that is close to his face. When I rub his hair with my hand, nothing shows, so I think the color is pretty permanent. BTW, I purchased the set of metallic markers on impulse while standing in line to pay for items at Marshall's. I like signing greeting cards with colored markers, which is the reason I purchased these, but they have come in handy for other uses as well.

      You are so right about the people news reports select to interview in the aftermath of catastrophes -- the worst of the worst or the worst looking at the time.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. WOW! I'm impressed! I think the darker complexion is a nice touch! My mind is spinning also. This lends itself to a lot of new things! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I don't know why but the idea of you having a "stinky grandpa" tickles me. I bet that grandma is going to be asking him what the heck he has been up to to smell like that. Hope it wasn't loose women!

    Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well he and Grandma are at the back of the room away from where I am when I am usually in here. I can see him but not smell him. There's nothing worse than a stinky old man, except a stinky young one. :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your Cali Grandpa.

    After I read your post, I got up to sniff my Cali Guy Steven. He does retain a slight "vanilla" scent, lol. I think most of the Cali dolls do ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, D7ana!

      Since yours has been deboxed, his scent has probably faded some. Hopefully Cali Grandpa's scent will be gone with the wind soon now that he is free.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. lol @scent going with the wind ;-)

      Delete
  7. He turned out real great! I like you believe in being "ready to go" if it is time to evacuate. My Cali Steven has a very slight scent that still lingers but it doesn't bother me. Now being inspired by this post, I might need to try my hand dying a extra body over here with some Rite Dye,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brini.

      Remember that only soft vinyl will absorb the Rit Dye; rigid or hard plastic will not.

      dbg

      Delete
  8. BTW, I have an article from a Barbie mag in doing a mustashe. I'll post it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember when you did this transformation, so I don't know why I didn't reply! You did a great job! I hope that some of Grandpa's stank has faded by now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roxanne! Yes, Grandpa's stench has faded. :-)

      As someone wrote recently, "There's nothing worse than a stinky old man, except a young one."

      :-)

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!