Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Dottie "Doc" McStuffins Cure

Doc McStuffins 9-1/2-inch vinyl doll with teen-type body
The black-doll enthusiast in me needed a Doc McStuffins doll inspired by the first animated series to feature an African American girl who aspires to be a professional*.  In this case, Dottie "Doc" McStuffins wants to be a doctor like her mother.

Prior to finding the doll featured in this post, there had been only two Doc McStuffins dolls under consideration for purchasing and both are talkers.  One was offered through the Disney Store online.  The other, that talks and sings, was seen at Walmart.com (currently out of stock at the time of this writing).   Of these two, the one at Walmart.com would have been my choice.  That purchase was delayed and finally ruled out after I located the Doc McStuffins teen-type doll on eBay for $12.99 with free ePacket shipping from China. The box was a little banged up as a result of her economy flight.

This doll has a super thin body and pencil thin legs.

Doc McStuffins dolls usually have a chocolate brown complexion with brown hair.  This doll's complexion is light caramel and her hair is red, perhaps to make her more appealing in other markets.  Her plastic accessories, shown better in the above image, include:  an otoscope, medicine bottle, baby bottle, cup, bandage container, stethoscope,  thermometer, syringe, clip board, and first aid kit. 

Obviously manufactured for non-American markets, the text on the box is written in English with Arabic text on the back.  Other undetermined languages on the front and back.  I could not locate a manufacturer's name or year of manufacture.  The graphics on the box almost look bootlegged.

Back of box

Size-wise, this doll is a better fit for my collection than the other Doc McStuffins dolls I had considered.  The cost was much less as well.  Whether she is properly credentialed or a quack as in authentic or a knockoff doll, now that this doc is in, the "I need a Doc McStuffins doll" is out of my system.

About the Animated Series
*Doc McStuffins in the News, Dec. 2013 (This is what really incited my desire to own at least one doll.)

dbg

13 comments:

  1. I like the doll. I wanted one that would fit with my fashion dolls. Thanks for sharing. I guess I am going on the hunt for one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, MDW. Here is the link to the seller's listing for this doll.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. She's adorable! On a guess, I looked at AliExpress... oh my! There are multiple variants! Some are darker, some are lighter, hair comes in various styles... they're all adorable, though obviously there's some deviation from the original character.

    I'm putting these tentatively on my maybe-shopping list, as I'd need to give her a body transplant for articulation, but so so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Smaller Places! I'll have to visit AliExpress to see what they are offering!

      dbg

      Delete
  3. This is darn neat! I didn't know they came in this size and her accessories are cool too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Muff,

      I didn't know this size was available until the listing became part of my eBay search for Doc McStuffins dolls. I have since located the dolls on AliExpress as well thanks to the comment by Smaller Places.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. I love her little freckles! She is a cute doll and she does have some great accessories. It funny to read about the Arabic languages on the back. I'm sure she was market as a doll of color in some market. I would of purchased her anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brini. Her freckles are cute. I was hoping she would be a full 11-1/2 or 12 inches, but 9-1/2 is a good size too.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. She is cute, and she does have some nice accessories. I would be tempted to use them with other dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxanne,

      I agree, the accessories could be useful with other dolls.

      dbg

      Delete
  6. She's very cute and has some cool accessories. It is a chinese knockoff. Too bad they don't sell them here. I found a regular Doc McStuffins at the thrift store, naked. She isn't too bad but I like yours better. Mine, of course, doesn’t have any accessories.

    For the longest time I couldn't figure out why whenever I got anywhere near a preschooler, they would always try to take my temperature and my pulse. Then I read an article about the Doc McStuffins tv show. I think its cool that so many little kids are interested in becoming doctors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the face on this one better than the authentic Doc McStuffins dolls, even though they look more like the cartoon character.

      That is too cute that preschoolers have begun mimicking Doc McStuffins by pretending to take your vital signs. The character is definitely a great role model.

      dbg

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!