Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Sharif

Sharif is a 22-inch doll by Paola Reina, a Spain-based doll company.  I love almost most everything about her, especially her luscious lips.  I have often contemplated redressing Sharif to replace her fancy sage green dress with something more casual.  The last consideration about doing this ended with a plan to only replace her shoes with a larger pair because her feet appear too small for her body.  This is the one thing I dislike about Sharif's construct.

Because she arrived during the time I was writing The Doll Blogs:  When Dolls Speak, I Listen, I included her commentary in that publication.  It reads as follows:


Saturday, March 21, 2009   Yesterday, the mail carrier left a notice on the mailbox of an attempt to deliver a package that required Debbie’s signature.  She thought it was the Obama body that she purchased to use with the extra head included with the Obama action figure purchased in February.  She was pleasantly surprised to see the huge shipping carton when she picked me up today because she knew I was in the box.  She could hardly wait to get home to tear open the box and almost went home before finishing some of her Saturday morning errands.  She decided to complete the errands first.  After removing me from my box, Debbie was a little disappointed because one of my eyelashes was about to fall off.  After she glued it back in place and combed my thick, brown, rooted hair, which became tousled during my trip, she admired my very broad facial features. 

My nose reminds her of hers, except mine is wider.  My lips, which are a little pouty are distinctly Africanoid and lusciously beautiful to Debbie.  She mistakenly was told that I am all vinyl, when in reality my body is brown cloth.  My arms are all vinyl and the vinyl in my legs extends to just above my knees.  I will probably need a saddle stand for support.  Debbie likes my dress, but thinks my feet look a little small for my 22-inch (55.88cm) height.  She loves me, nonetheless, including my vanilla-flavored scent. 
Having traveled from Spain, where I was made by Paola Reina (a doll company), to England, where I was sold by NubiDollz.com, I am happy to be in America now. 
Love, Sharif


In addition to thoughts of redressing Sharif, I have also wanted to share her provenance with the readers of this blog.  Each time I have read a comment to my posts from Thammie the Dollmaker, who owns at least one doll like Sharif, I have been reminded of the need to do this.  Consider it done!  Now I must find larger shoes for this lovely girl.

 dbg

10 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie,
    What a gorgeous doll! I have read reviews before of this doll line and I'm especially in awe of the 22 inch ones. Sharif is stunning. I love everything about her from the photos, although I think the bow on her headband might be a little on the large side (but that's just me.) I think if I ever add one of these to my collection, it might have to be Sharif!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Farrah Lily and Sharif thanks you as well. I love her sculpt!

      I looked but didn't find larger shoes. She continues to wear her original pair. I had to take a look at her bow. It is a little on the large size, but I don't plan to change it, unless I redress her and it clashes.

      :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  2. When I was a kid I had chubby cheeks and annoying adults were always grabbing them, pissing me off no end. This doll has chubby cheeks and I want to squish them! LOL, now I understand why those annoying adults were always doing that. She's a cutie patootie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Muff. LOL at you getting all ticked off at someone pinching your cheeks. I guess it's just a natural instinct for people to want to pinch a baby's chubby cheeks, but not so fun for the child.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Hi Debbie

    It is so good to find someone who owns a Sharif doll. She is so beautiful. I love her everything about her from her face to her scented body. I have to agree with the fact that her feet look so small for her body. However she reminds me of a girl I went to school with. She was really tall but had tiny feet. She looked like she would lose her balance everytime she put one feet in front of the other.
    Reading your Sharif’s letter was nice. I'm glad you have found the time to post it. It is good that she feels at home with you.

    Thank you for mentioning me.

    Have fun with your dolls,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to see that I was not the only one who owned a Sharif when I saw yours, Thammie. It was my pleasure to mention your blog here. It is your blog that inspired the post.

      :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  4. She's a beauty. Those cheeks and those lips....adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!