Thursday, November 26, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving from Two Star and Me

Two Star by William Tung
I was looking through my archived photos for Thanksgiving photographs of dolls and stopped looking when I stumbled upon pictures of Two Star, an approximately 26-inch vinyl and cloth Native American doll that was sold through the Home Shopping Network (HSN) circa 2004.  I remember the show host, Tina Berry, suggesting that the doll was "similar to a well-known German artist's dolls that had bare feet."  Berry did not say Annette Himstedt's name, but I knew that was the artist she was suggesting.  After Two Star arrived, I was convinced that the former HSN show host would say almost anything to sell dolls. While she is a nice doll, Two Star is in no way comparable to a Himstedt.


The doll's original costume is a fringed suede blouse and skirt, braided suede headband, faux turquoise and muted silver necklace, and bead-embellished suede moccasins.

In the above photos, Two Star wears her original poor quality wig, which had a plastic-feeling texture.


I immediately rewigged Two Star and later changed her ethnicity to African American by redressing her and renaming her Celeste.

Rewigged and redressed, the doll has been referred to as Celeste for several years.
~*~*~*~*~*
History of Thanksgiving (One Recorded Version)
In 1621, the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest feast that is acknowledged today as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in the colonies. For more than two centuries, days of thanksgiving were celebrated by individual colonies and states. It wasn’t until 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, that President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day to be held each November. [http://www.history.com/topics/thanksgiving/history-of-thanksgiving]



Celeste (a.k.a. Two Star) and I wish those of you who celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday peace, happiness and love.

dbg

17 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving. I remember the good ol' days of Tina Berry and HSN dolls. I never ordered much of anything, but I loved watching the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa. I used to record the HSN doll shows to watch later. Unlike you, I did spend tons of money on HSN dolls, much to my regret now.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to your and your family. I was thinking about out when I was in the thrift store looking for size 7w shoes for Angelica, I did find Scarlet an outfit, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving and happy thrifting Brini! Angelica is difficult to shoe. :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to you! I'm thankful I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving, Debbie! Celeste is a big pretty doll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roxanne! Hope you and hubby had a wonderful day.

      dbg

      Delete
  6. Your dolls are lovely! Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, GG! It is now the day after. Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful.

      dbg

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Leo. I hope yours was enjoyable as well.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!