Wednesday, December 23, 2015

A Christmas Memory from Betty

A pile of Christmas gifts

I asked Betty Ativie, the woman who inspired this series of posts on fondest childhood Christmas memories, to share one of her memorable Christmas experiences.

Betty wrote:

I will never forget the Christmas morning  of 1984. My youngest son Chad had been born on June 22 of that same year.  I held my baby in my arms that Christmas morning and watched as my six-year-old son, Matthew opened his gifts. Perhaps it was the joy and excitement on Matthew's face that alerted Chad he was entitled to the same happiness. When Chad climbed down from my arms and realized there were no presents for him, he fell out backwards on the floor. 

Betty's handsome sons, Matthew and Chad
Just because a baby can't talk doesn't mean they can't understand or experience joy. I had made a tragic mistake that morning that a trip to the local toy store the next day would never correct. The memory still haunts me today.

Amazingly Chad has forgiven me and labeled it as a misunderstanding. When he invited me into his home to live in 2014, I was so thankful. This is the same son who at the age of five in May of 1990 told me not to cry when my mother passed away and stated without any doubts, I'd see her again. Praise God for good sons and forgiveness. After all for me Christmas is truly about a Saviour who came to earth, went to the cross in my place and saved me from my sins.  

~*~*~*~*~*~

Betty, you were blessed by your son's willingness to forgive and he was blessed by your willingness to correct an innocent mistake.  Thank you so much for sharing this very touching story and for inspiring this blog series.  

dbg

Check out my eBay listings here.

5 comments:

  1. This photo is so cute. This memory is so touching. As you have said Betty and Chad are so blessed to have each other.
    Take good care of yourself!
    Arlette

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story and memory! Chad sounds like a wonderful son. What a blessing! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherished Memories. It's amazing what babies know at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely story...God bless that little Chad, and Betty too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and touching. Thanks for sharing these stories Debbie!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!