Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Returned Dolls

Twelve boxes of dolls returned from the Perot Museum of Nature and Science
Like clockwork, the conclusion of my doll exhibit at the Perot Museum of Nature and Science involved the dolls' prescheduled return to my home on September 12, 2016.  The delivery had been scheduled months in advance to take place at 9:30 a.m. on that date, but a phone call around 9:10 that morning alerted me the handlers were running ahead of schedule and would arrive shortly. I was actually on the phone with Sandra Epps, the organizer and host of The Detroit Doll Show, when I heard the beep-beep-beep of the huge, unmarked delivery truck as it backed up to parallel park in front of my house.  After concluding the phone call with Sandy, I opened the door and waited patiently while the art handlers stacked the boxes in the designated area.  They were prepared to help me unpack the dolls but I declined that offer.

From my first communication with the senior director of exhibits at the Perot, until the day the dolls were returned, everything worked as scheduled and with great precision.  Of course I would expect no less from an organization of the Perot's standing in the community.

Museum labels and souvenir card from preview and grand opening

Along with the 12 boxes of returned dolls, which had been individually wrapped in tissue paper and/or plastic with more than an adequate amount of tissue paper used as packing, I received the museum labels that had been used to describe the dolls while on display.  Additionally, the huge cloth banner  (not shown in the image above, but can be seen here) and a stack of souvenir cards containing my image, were sent along with the returned dolls.

Eye of the Collector souvenir book and note from organizers
A week or so after the dolls returned and after their return to their original or new areas of display in the doll room, I received a package from the museum which contained an Eye of the Collector souvenir book and a note signed by the senior director of exhibits and others who worked so diligently to help the exhibition achieve such great success.

The souvenir book includes each of the nine collectors' stories and images of items from their collections.

The exhibition opened on April 16, 2016, and closed on Labor Day, September 5, 1016.  By August 25, 2016, visitation had exceeded over 100,000!

Initially hesitant to participate when contacted in December 2015 about that possibility, I am now delighted I agreed.

All dolls have long been unpacked and placed back into their previous or new positions of display.  These three (Essence of Lady Sigma by Trinity Designs, Inc, the Michelle Obama Official White House Portrait Doll by Franklin Mint, and a Lifelike Michelle Obama doll by Danbury Mint) are in their original display position -- on my work desk behind my computer monitor.


dbg
Check out my eBay listings here.

5 comments:

  1. I say you set up all the collateral from the exhibition (banner included) exactly as it was organised at the exhibition in your house and charge people entry every time they come and visit! I love the care that was taken to return your ever fabulous condition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing how your colllection's items came back. I guess I knew that museums would be careful with items but I've only seen things packed for storage in the museum's units. It's so gracious that they included some exhibition material as souvenirs for you to thank you for sharing. It really was very generous of you and also that you do it for us with this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful experience that I enjoyed sharing here from beginning to end, Maricha. Thanks for taking the time to read my musings and for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate you.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Glad they all made it home safely!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!