Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Article, Video: New Kens with Dad Bods and Man Buns


Some of the new Barbie Fashionistas for 2017 include a variety of Kens with new bodies, hairstyles and a variety of complexions.

L-R:  Doll #13 Distressed Denim, Broad has a man bun and Doll #10 Classic Cool has cornrowed hair.

Ken bodies are now described as broad, slim, and original.  Distressed Denim, as noted in the above caption, has a broad body.  Classic Cool appears to be on the original Ken body.

Here's a link to an article published on Yahoo! Style on June 20, 2017, about the new Kens with "dad bods" and "man buns."  Photos of the guys and gals in the new line are included in the article along with a video from the dolls' debut on Good Morning America yesterday.  Here also is a direct link to the GMA video.

Here is yet another link to a cute stop-motion video.

Ten of the 15 new dolls were supposedly available in stores yesterday.  Preordering is now available at ShopMattel.com where, for a limited time, free shipping is offered on all Fashionistas.


#86 Glam Boho is curvy with more stylish-appearing shoes than the other curvy girls. The extra boho ensemble is included.

Glam Boho can be preordered at ShopMattel for $14.99.  Most of the others are $9.99.  All have non-articulated bodies, but I wonder if Glam Boho's complexion is comparable to The Barbie Look (TBL) doll's skin tone.  Maybe she can borrow TBL doll's body and enjoy a little more movement.


dbg
Follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black
Check out my eBay listings here.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing about the new Ken bodies. I look forward to seeing them. I like the "man bun" phrase: I've seen that "style" for years without having a name for it. Are yo looking forward to any of these new Kens?

    Do you think that the #86 Glam Boho resembles a young Cree Summers from Different World - see actress in jeans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi D7ana,

      I preordered Classic Cool to take advantage of free shipping offered by ShopMattel. He's the only Ken from the new group that I know I want. I'll have to see the others in person before making a decision to purchase.

      Yes, I can see the resemblance between Glam Boho and Cree Summers. I preordered Glam Boho as well. I knew I wanted her weeks ago after first seeing the prototype photos floating around on Facebook.

      :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  2. That stop motion video was in my inbox yesterday. I want the husky Steven, but he and all the dolls I'm most interested in are slated for a 2018 release. I look forward to seeing them in store, though. I enjoy looking at all that diversity even when I'm not buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy seeing the diversity, too, Jewell. I am not sure broad Darren/Steven will live here. I wish Mattel had used a different head sculpt, like Model 17 as a broad male.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. I really like that Barbie has been putting out such a variety in shape, colour, hairstyle, etc lately. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing these in store soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the variety as well jSarie. I might add more after seeing them in person in stores.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. I do like all of the diversity that Barbie has been putting out as well. I must confess, that I did order several of the new dolls that are now available. Some of them will get here by Saturday and some that were available earlier on Amazon made there way here as well. I also got the new Look dolls which arrived today. I will be doing a couple of posts on my new acquisitions.πŸ˜…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading your posts about the new dolls, Phyllis.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the information and the links. I hope diversity in Ken's also increases sales. We may see a black, articulated Silkstone Ken someday, after all.:D
    It's a bit sexist of me but I never gave any thought to the importance of body type diversity in male dolls but I can see why it matters.
    I agree this doll does look much like Cree Summer. I haven't seen her in ages though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until now, I had only focused on wanting more articulated males and females and of course an AA Silkstone male. I am keeping hope alive for the latter. It is good that Mattel is thinking outside the box regarding body types for both male and female dolls.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!