Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Sparkle Girlz Fashions: How Many [Are] You Buying For?

Sparkle Girlz fashion display box and $1.97 fashions at Walmart (please excuse the phone camera photos).

I went to Walmart to see if the Sparkle Girlz playscale fashions by Funville were in stock.  I almost left the store empty-handed until I went back down the aisle where I had seen the mini Sparkle Girlz dolls the first time.  On double-checking, there they were, right next to the minis where I had completely overlooked them initially.  Who knew they would be in a box and not hung from a rack?

Relieved, I removed the fashions from the display box to see how many different ones were available before separating them into groups onto an empty shelf to photograph.  I wanted to capture all that were available since I knew I was not going to purchase one of each even though I came pretty close.  There were a total of 24.  Mattel has never offered this much variety in Barbie fashions at one given time.

Below are the poorer and poor quality photos I took with my phone camera before deciding on which fashions I would purchase.

I purchased the fashion with the tartan plaid skirt, 2nd row, 2nd from left  There is a better photo of this fashion later.

The first group photo above is the worst of the in-store photos.  The others are better, but not much.  All except one of the fashions in the above blurry photo were left behind.


 I selected several from this second picture, above, and even more from the final in-store photo below. 



Since there were so many fashions from which to choose, I had to use a process of elimination.  I knew I wanted fashions that came with shoes.  I did not want any made from shimmery fabric.  I also wanted to keep those with writing on the fabric to a minimum.

I selected a total of 16.  Some are duplicates that will be sent to my niece.  I wanted to also purchase a Black Sparkle Girlz fashion doll for her but there were only blondes available.  After carting the fashions, I noticed two Walmart associates at the end of the aisle.  I asked one about the doll's availability.

Me to 1st Woman:  Excuse me, do you know if there are any more African American Sparkle Girlz in stock?

1st Woman to the 2nd:  Do you know, (then turning to me) what kind of doll?

Me to the 2nd Woman:  African American Sparkle Girlz, the Barbie size.

2nd Woman:  You mean the ones in the cone?  [Their boxes are cone shaped.]

Me:  Yes.

2nd Woman:  To be honest, yes, but they are on a pallet and I have about 20 pallets to stock.  So I can't tell you when they will be on the shelf.  (She then looks at my Sparkle Girlz fashion-lined cart, not realizing it was mine and said to the first woman.)  Look, we have fashions for the doll she wants.

Me:  That's why I want the doll.  These are mine.

2nd Woman:  How many you buying for?

Me:  Um... caught completely off guard and not really wanting to confess that most are for me, I blurted out, two!  (Well, I was buying them for two people, my niece and myself.)

2nd Woman:  [Staring at me strangely, probably still wondering why I was purchasing as many for two "girls."]

Me:  Trying to explain; yet I know I really didn't have to.  I usually buy high-end dolls for my niece that my sister won't allow her to play with [true], so I want to buy the Sparkle Girlz doll and clothes for her.  I know my sister will let her play with this.

2nd Woman:  Oh.  Yeah, she needs to be able to play with her dolls.

1st Woman:  But the others are collectible.

Me:  Yes, they are, but I still want her to be able to play with her dolls, whether they are collectible or not.  
2nd Woman:  Check back later in the week.  The dolls should be out by then.

Me:  Okay, I will.  Thanks!

***


At home, I took additional group photos of the fashions I purchased.

This photo illustrates the fashions purchased from the first two in-store photos.  Remember the blurry tartan plaid fashion I mentioned in the first group photo?  That's it on the top row.  The remaining five fashions were in the second group photo.

The fashions above are the ones I purchased that appear in the third in-store photo.  The two with purses do not have shoes.  All others in this image have shoes.

Each fashion card has an image of one of the Sparkle Girlz as seen in the next photo of randomly selected fashions to illustrate this fact. 

I have seen four different playscale Sparkle Girlz dolls.  Funville has used one of the four dolls on the fashion cards, which I think is quite admirable.  Usually the blonde is the chosen one, but not in this case.
The following are duplicates that will be sent to my niece along with an African American Sparkle Girlz doll (as soon as one becomes available).
These are duplicates that my niece will receive.

I will probably send my niece a couple of the other fashions that I have singles of, which ones will be determined later.

The quality of the fashions appears to be comparable to that of the $4 to $6 Barbie fashions and most of those do not come with shoes.  Beyond Sparkle Girlz, I am not sure which other dolls can wear the shoes since they appear a little on the small side.   My overall assessment is:  For those who enjoy dressing and redressing playscale dolls, for a mere $1.97, you cannot go wrong investing in a few of these Sparkle Girlz fashion (and maybe even a doll or two).



dbg

22 comments:

  1. So I see that I need to make my way to Walmart VERY SOON! Like tomorrow if I can get my husband to take me. I already have a plan... I'll tell him that I want him to take me to work, and then when he picks me up, I'll ask if we can just swing by Walmart and grab a few items. :) I hope that I can find some of these fashions. It's back to school time and my teens need new clothes. Thanks for sharing all of these photos, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your plan, Roxanne. I hope they are available for you.

      My store didn't have the fashion packs that Vanessa's store has (Fashion Dolls at Van's Doll Treasures) and that Muff (Hey It's Muff) wrote about. They might be available for me when I return for my niece's doll. There is a newer store that I might visit soon to see if the dolls and fashion packs are there. I am working on my niece's Christmas package early, but I usually shop ahead.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Thanks again for this information Debbie, and thanks for linking to my blog below. The store that I visited had the fashion boutique packs, but not the individual fashions. They had a spot for the individual fashions with the price marked and everything, but that spot was empty. The display of Sparkle Girlz items was really quite impressive other than that.

      About my plan, I have to say that my husband knows me too well, and I am not slick. LOL! My husband readily agreed to take me to work and to take me to Walmart afterwards. He stayed in the vehicle, which I didn't expect. While in the store, my inner voice told me that after picking up the items that I wanted, I needed to go and buy a bag of food also. I didn't listen to that voice, I listened to the voice that told me that I was tired and wanted to go home as soon as possible. As soon as I got in the truck and my husband saw those purple packages in my bag, he said "Is this what you had in mind when you asked me to take you to work this morning?" I feigned wide-eyed innocence and said "What? I just like it when you take me to work." There was laughter, and then a lot of talk. Much more talk than I wanted. And I wished so much that I had just driven myself to Walmart. :)

      Delete
    3. You are welcome, Roxanne!

      Your husband has you figured out, Roxanne. He stayed in the car because he didn't want you to stay in the store too long. I can only imagine what was said during the talk.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Wow such cool fashion packs!! Wish they were available in India! Barbie clothes are so expensive and you don't get any shoes or bags either,I am talking about the single dress pack here!! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of these really are nice, Pam. I wish they were available for you, too.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. How do you always get caught up in doll conversations with Walmart workers. LOL. That was funny. I would get those strange conversations when I was buying 10 or more dolls at a time, and it wasn't Christmas. My Walmart had a lot of fashions, but you have two here that I NEED. The one with Love on the shirt and the one with the fake red tie. Funny how we both noticed the different faces on the cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm a convo magnet when it comes to doll purchases, I guess, Vanessa.

      I actually purchased duplicates of those that you want. I am not sure if I left any behind -- they come 24 to a box and I am not sure if there are 2 of each or 3 of each. Anyway, when I go back, I'll see and if they are there, I'll get them for you. I did notice there were some different ones in the fashion packs you purchased, like one with a denim jacket that I am recalling. I'll let you know what I find or you can let me know if you venture out to Walmart and find them before I get there.

      The fake tie = the red plaid skirt, right?


      dbg

      Delete
    2. Vanessa, both of the ones you want were in stock at the Walmart near Hobby Lobby when I stopped in today.

      Delete
  4. Wow, those Walmart workers should have gotten you the dolls you wanted after all of that! I bring my daughter with me when doll shopping, but she now tells them they aren't for her because she is in high school now. I am at the age now though where I don't care and I tell them I play with and collect dolls.

    Those clothes are very cute. I may have to break down and go to Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a retail worker should never question a customer about a purchase unless they are interested in buying the item(s) and need additional details.

      I don't really mind people knowing that I collect dolls, but it usually catches me off guard when people question me about doll purchases.

      Hope you're able to find them, Phyllis.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. DBG - You are so sweet. But my saying I NEED them, just means I NEED to go to another Walmart and find them. I have about 5 Walmarts within a 5 mile radius of me. A little crazy, but true. I've only visited one so far. I'm sure I will find them locally. Thanks, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, Vanessa. I have two within that same radius, one is newer than the other which is the one I actually prefer going to, but I had to pick up something from Sam's Club yesterday, which is across from the older Walmart.

      One of your five is certain to have the ones you NEED.
      :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  6. LOL! That is the how conversations go in WallyWorld. I haven't ventured to my two Walmart as of yet to see if they have them. I would like some pieces for Calista, Skipper and Chelsea. I can sew some items to stretch the wardrobe in between sewing for myself. If they have dolls on the shelf here I let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these fashions will be perfect for Calista and other similar-sized dolls, Brini. I was thinking I would try one on my Chyna doll (http://blackdollcollecting.blogspot.com/2012/09/vip-chyna-is-cute.html). I know the shoes won't fit Chyna, however.

      Thanks for looking for the Sparkle Girlz dolls there, but I know they are or will be here soon. I remember during Christmas time that same store had gobs of them and I have seen them in stock since then. I think at $4.97, they probably sell out quickly as a nice alternative to Barbie.

      Another thing I like about the Sparkle Girlz in playscale is that, even though their heads are slightly larger than the body, the company did not use the same mold for the AA doll as they did the white doll, which makes me want one for myself now, too. I'll probably buy a bunch when they are in stock to have on hand to give away to other girls.

      dbg

      Delete
  7. Congrats! I bet Walmart isles across the country have people taking photos of Sparkle wear, lol.

    People who work at Walmart must be the noseyest ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Muff. I saw them first on your blog. Thanks for the heads up.

      dbg

      Delete
  8. These fashions are adorable and I LOVE the price. They are a lot of collectors snapping them up. I can't wait to go shopping this weekend. One of best dollie friends is coming to visit and I am trying my best to hold out for one of our shopping trips this weekend. Nice haul Debbie! I hope you are able to get the doll you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GG. Can't blame collectors for snapping them up. I just read Jewell's comment and realized there were no Sparkle Girlz play sets in stock at my Walmart. I will have to be on the lookout for those for my niece.

      I hope you have an enjoyable time with your dollie friend and are able to snap up some of the SG fashions yourself.

      dbg

      Delete
  9. LOL at your chat in the doll aisle. I went shopping today, and grabbed a few single fashions and one boutique set. I saw lots of others I wanted, but was hesitant to buy them until I knew for certain which dolls they would fit. Your niece is going to be tickled with her new doll and all the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you were able to get fashions and a boutique set.

      Hi Jewell,

      I think these fashions will definitely fit Skipper sized dolls and thinner playscale dolls like ModelMuse. Most fabrics are stretchy which will help.

      Thanks for mentioning the boutique. I will have to find some of the play sets for my niece, too.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Hi again Jewell,

      Roxanne's Sparkle Girlz Doll Clothes post illustrates some of the dolls in her collection that can wear (or pull off wearing) these fashions. Here's the link and URL: http://roxannesdolls.blogspot.com/2014/08/sparkle-girlz-clothes.html

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!