Saturday, January 3, 2015

Nicole

Nicole by Kenya's World LLC (basic dolls)
Several Nicole dolls by Kenya's World, LLC were spotted at a Walgreens located in a heavily Hispanic populated area of the city.  I decided to browse the toy section at that particular Walgreens the week before Christmas.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the above dolls on one shelf.

As I was about to exit the toy aisle with one of the brunettes to purchase, I saw another shelf that contained several additional Nicole dolls.  These were in larger boxes with an extra accessory or two.  All, except one, wore brightly colored clothing of shiny material and/or ruffles.  None of these appealed to me for those reasons and I did not take the time to photograph.  I stacked them back on the shelf as they were and proceeded to the checkout counter with the one Nicole and a few other items I was purchasing.

Turquoise and Vallenato Nicole

At the counter, I discovered I had not one, but two Nicole dolls.  While examining the second set of dolls, I dropped a couple of boxes and inadvertently tucked one of the fallen boxes underneath my arm while I  repositioned the others on the shelf.  The tucked doll did not get replaced because I probably thought it was other merchandise I was purchasing.  At the checkout counter after discovering what I had done, I said, "I have two!"  Then I asked the cashier, "Which one do I need, or should I buy both?"  She smiled and answered, "She needs a friend."  So both came home with me.

My mother, who was with me, as we exited the store asked, "Debbie, what are you going to do with those dolls?  Open them up and play?"  A little annoyed by the mocking tone of question two, after a few seconds of silence I answered, "Not very many dolls representing Latinas are made.  This company designed a line a African American dolls in various skin tones and now they are attempting to serve the Hispanic market.  I will probably keep them in the box."

"Oh how nice," she said.  Do you have any of the black ones?
"Yes, I have them all," I answered.   

Turquoise Nicole was supposed to be the only one I purchased.  Priced slightly higher, Vallenato Nicole has an animal print shoulder bag and child-size purple flower-shaped ring.   Both dolls are articulated at the knees.  The arms are not articulated.   I did not see any fully articulated versions.  As illustrated in the first two photos, some dolls have lighter complexions and lighter hair.  The blonds have dark streaks; the brunettes have highlights.

Closer view of Nicole's face

Nicole has a pretty face and reminds me of actress, Alyssa Milano.

The body appears to be the same as that used for Fashion Madness Kenya. Since I am not removing them from the box at this time, a size comparison with other playscale dolls will not be conducted. 

dbg

14 comments:

  1. You bought a Nicole! I've been really on the fence about these, as I think the concept is great, but I'm more into thrift finds, clones, and Bratz at the moment.

    The ones in miles of shiny ruffles are also articulated at the elbows, and I'm assuming they kept the knee articulation, but it'd cost me $20 to find out. Those are the quinceañera version.

    I do like that the clothing other than the quince line is so sleek and modern, rather than Barbie-fussy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not one, but two Nicoles were purchased.

      I recall seeing at least one quinceañera version version Nicole but did not notice the additional articulation. I was probably too focused on the frills of the costume.

      I still love my thrift shop hunts and finds for clones too. Now that it is post Christmas, it's time for me to make a few weekly visits.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. I have yet to see the Nicole dolls. I love that this company is trying to reach out to the Hispanic market. I like both the dolls you purchased. I'm trying to limit my doll purchases to less than 10 this year, so I'm not sure Nicole will make my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less than 10 dolls, Vanessa, really? Good luck with that! LOL! No seriously, you can do it. Wish I could, too.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Less than 10 dolls, Vanessa?! I cant even imagine. You are a strong woman if you pull that off.

      Debbie, I haven't seen these dolls yet, but I do like their clothing.

      Delete
    3. Some of Nicole's clothing is nice, Muff. Some.

      dbg

      Delete
    4. DId I stutter? LOL! Yes, 10 dolls. I hope to be so busy learning and creating, that I won't have time to purchase new dolls.

      Delete
    5. LOL! I hope you stay busy. LOL! (Insert rolling belly laughter.)

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Like Vanessa I have yet to see these dolls. I haven't seen any of the Kenya dolls either. These dolls are very pretty and the price point is bad either. Congratulation on your purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the congrats, Christopher. The price and Nicole's pretty face were two of the deciding factors for the purchase.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. I have not seen these dolls, but a friend of mine saw them, but I though she said she was at CVS. I will have to have the one with the animal print bag. I am a animal print fanatic, so this one will have to come home with me if I can find her. I need to make a Walgreen's run anyway.

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GG - I was told that CVS carries them as well. They were not at two CVSs that I checked a few weeks before stumbling upon these at Walgreens. Good luck in finding the one with the animal print bag.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. I like the outfit and the bag of the Salsa Nicole. I have not seen these in stores. Thanks for sharing these, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!