Friday, February 5, 2016

Giving Them Life

Paris Williams, the center doll in tan jacket, was part of Onlyalisa's recent thrift store haul (Photo courtesy of Onlyalisa)*

A couple of weeks ago after a fellow collector shared her thrift store haul from an East Cost store that included a Madame Alexander Paris doll (what?) in near mint condition for $9.99, I trotted off to my local thrift store to see if I would be as lucky. Nope. No such luck here, but I did find two So In Style dolls and a Fashion Madness Denise. All were in preloved condition at $1.99 each, with one of the SIS girls qualifying for a 50% discount due to her tag color being the "color of the week." So for a little over $5 (including tax) I received an inexpensive doll fix.

So In Style (SIS) Grace, Trichelle, and Fashion Madness Denise are as they were when found in this and the next two photos.


Grace's hair required the least work to tame.  Denise's took lots of elbow grease to restyle.
I soaked the trio in Pine Sol and gave them a good rinse before washing and conditioning their hair.  I used a dab of Elasta QP Liquid Styling Gel to comb through Denise's matted tresses.

After washing, the hair was allowed to air dry.

What a difference!

After returning the SIS girls to their original hairstyles and giving Denise a faux fishtail braid, the girls were dressed in a combination of Sparkle Girlz and Barbie fashions and shoes  Before Denise posed for the above photo, her pale white lips with painted illusion of teeth were enhanced to enlarge the lips and cover the fake teeth.  See before and after photos next.
Denise's thin lips before the enhancement

I used white dimensional paint to both enlarge the size of the upper and lower lips and to add dimension to the painted-teeth area.  See profile photos next (before final color was added).




I mixed a couple of colors of brown, tan, a touch of red, and white acrylic paint to achieve a neutral lip color, shown below in Denise's final photo.



This is the second lip enhancement I have performed on a Fashion Madness Denise.  The result of the first one, seen here, is not as appealing as this one.

*The other dolls in the first photo found by Onlyalisa are an International Fulani Tribal Doll, Naber Kid, Bratz Dylan, Effanbee doll possibly from the Grandes Dames collection, and an 18-inch Our Generation Girl.

I wasn't as lucky as Onlyalisa but I enjoyed giving these three life and Denise more lips.

dbg

Check out my eBay listings here.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie! I am sure those dolls are glad you found them in this thrift shop.
    Take care!
    Arlette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only they could talk, I am sure they would express their gratitude, Arlette. :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Ah but for a second chance at life! I am sure these ladies are happy you found them and gave them some TLC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't leave the SIS there since the line has been discontinued, even though I have several. Denise just tagged along for the ride. :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Trichelle is my favorite, but they all look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of the SIS dolls in general, Trichelle is one of my favorites with Chandra being the most favored. Of these two, since Trichelle was not as readily available as Grace when the dolls were being produced, Trichelle is my favorite.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. Nice finds! They might not be as fancy as the Madame Alexander Paris doll (I love hearing that people find dolls like that though), but they're looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your thrift store haul is just as nice, in my opinion. I love finding a SIS doll new and/or preowned now that they are no longer being made by Mattel. Great job on their clean up. I will have to try the Pine Sol. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GG!

      I normally use Mr. Clean or another lemon-scented cleanser, but didn't have any of that on hand, so I had to opt for "the power of PineSol."
      :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  6. Lovely makeovers...I just love seeing used dolls being brought back to life. Their hair looks so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's doll therapy, Farrah: Cleaning them up, styling the hair, and seeing the final result gives me life, too.
      :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  7. When you see them looking all refreshed it does give you this little sense, "There you go. All better."

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!