Friday, January 6, 2017

Christmas Dolls 2016 Part 1

If you read my Disastrous to Dazzling post, you will recall that my friend, Debra R., and I exchanged Christmas wish lists. This post shares the the doll-related gifts I received from Debra based on my wish list desires.  I only wanted two doll-related items.

Annually, Debra and I exchange African American Santas.  Because my Christmas decoration storage space is nearly exhausted, my wish list requested for her not to send a Santa this year.  That request was not honored.  I am not sure why, but I am glad it was not.  (Hmmm... if I recall, I think I made the same request last year, which was ignored.)

From Christmas day until I stored all decorations on New Year's Day, my new Santa was displayed on the Christmas table in front of the tabletop Christmas tree.   I was able to store the new Santa with ease because another Possible Dreams Santa's box had room for two.
Merry Kiss-mas Santa is his name.  Santa is from the Possible Dreams Christmas Traditions Collection.  Made of resin, he stands 10-1/2 inches tall.  He holds a boy and a girl, who each are giving him a kiss.  So sweet!



******


The 2016 Holiday Barbie Ornament designed by Katrina Bricker, uses the Pazette head sculpt.  The ornament wears a molded-on blue gown with graduated blue tulle skirt and silver bodice that replicates the gown worn by the 2016 African American Holiday Barbie doll.



As shown above, the detail of the strikingly stunning Pazette head sculpt, with high cheek bones, was amazingly captured in such a tiny, 4.4-inch piece.

I usually decorate a small tabletop Christmas tree with all the AA Barbie ornaments, which date back to 1998, and rebox them in their individual boxes after the holiday.  Last year (2016) I used the tree reserved for Barbie ornaments for other ornaments instead.  This latest Barbie ornament will definitely be used in future years on a small tree or wreath, similar to the way Debra used her Barbie ornaments this past Christmas.

Debra R.'s Barbie ornament wreath (she said she's missing two, which I must rectify).
******
This photo gift tag did not leave me guessing about the contents of the package to which it was attached.

Because of the photo gift tag Debra used for the next gift, I knew the doll was in the beautifully wrapped box.  I had included City Chic Suit Silkstone Barbie on my short wish list and Debra delivered.


The doll is gorgeous!  I love everything about her:  her auburn hair, her caramel brown complexion, her vintage Barbie head sculpt, and her attire.  Before receiving the doll, I was a little worried about the quality of the suit based on photos of other dolls, but my doll's suit is perfect!







I appreciate owning the first articulated African American Silkstone Barbie and was eager to test her "moves."  The elbow articulation appeared to be stiff with little range of motion initially until I removed her jacket and noticed the disk and the groove that needs to be followed for ease of movement.

I took the time to undress and pose City Chic to illustrate some of her movements:

She can do a forward-facing split.


Striking a pose, of course, is no problem.

Let's do a split and give praise, too...

... then stand up and pose some more.

Sitting is very ladylike.

She can cross her calves, but not her ankles.

She has a beauty mark below her left eye.  Her hair color and complexion are very complementary.

Do I love her?  Yes, I do!  Now if Mattel would come through with an African American Silkstone Ken with a new head sculpt, she and I would both be thrilled.

******

These are the three doll-related items from Debra R.  I received other dolls and doll paraphernalia from others that will be shared in subsequent posts.  Until then, I hope everyone is enjoying the new year and will continue to do so.

 
dbg
Follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black
Check out my eBay listings here.

13 comments:

  1. I want all three gifts! The Kiss-mas Santa is oh so cute. I'm now inspired to create cute little hats, coats, and gloves for my kiddies. So nice they articulated the Silkstones. She's very nice, and that suit is perfect. The one AA Silkstone I have is supposed to be someone's mom, but I can't remember who. Their mature look makes them perfect moms in the stories. Debra did well, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Debra did great, Vanessa. I love these items and the other things she sent me.

      The Silkstone and other Barbies that use the vintage head sculpt do have a more mature look. I understand see why you haven chosen your as a mom for one of your adult doll characters.

      The little ones do need to bundle up (especially now). Hats and sweaters would be great for them. I know making these will be a breeze for you. I did recently see a video on how to make no-sew cap ornaments that work well as hats for playscale dolls. The technique could be scaled down for the little ones. Hopefully this link will work for you: Little ornament hats.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Thanks. The link worked and they are so cute. I have quite a few mini crochet and knitting needles, so I'm going to try to do it the real way first, at least for the kiddies. I may try the quick version for the Barbie sized dolls.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome! I look forward to seeing your creations.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Great gifts from a beautiful person. The Santa is adorable! I really like the AA silkstone too. I have been thinking of getting her. Your pictures has made my decision to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, G.G. I knew I wanted this Silkstome the first time I saw her photo. I kept putting off buying. Then when I tried to think of something for my wish list, she came to mind. You won't be disappointed. I had seen early photos of another person's doll whose snaps were not finished neatly. The collector sent the doll back and the replacement's dress snaps were sewn on as tacky as the first. I was pleased to see that my doll's snaps are neatly sewn.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Thanks for showing us your great gifts. I especially like the Silkstone, it was her body I wanted for my older Silkstone but am not so sure about. Now that I've seen yours it seems a bit mean to be wanting to get one solely to take her body. My only excuse is that my current doll reminds me of a childhood Barbie/Bild Lili clone I loved because she looked so much like my mom. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is a nice doll just as she is, Maricha. Which older Silkstone do you have? I have two of the first African American Lingerie Barbie Silkstone dolls. One remains in the box. The other is redressed in a nurse uniform that is reminiscent of the Barbie Fan Club Silkstone that was dressed as a nurse. I could take a complexion comparison photo of the dolls and add it to this post if you'd like.

      Your mother sounds lovely.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. Yes, my mom is great even though she shares Barbie's talent for giving the side eye :D. My Silkstone is the 50th Anniversary doll that had a ponytail and wore a reproduction black and white swimsuit from 2009. I think she's the color of the lingerie Silkstones because I don't recall that there was any variety on that point. I'm not even sure there is now but I only see pictures of these dolls online so it's a bit hard to judge.
    If you have the time I would really appreciate seeing your dolls:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am snowed in... the streets are clear, but I won't be going out anytime soon until the temperature rises above freezing. I will try to take the comparison photos tomorrow.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Hi Maricha, the comparison was done in a separate post, which can be read here.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. I love that Kiss-mas Santa! I was going to send you the ornament as a surprise gift but never made to Hallmark due to work, but OMG!, you do have her and I'm thrilled you do. Now let's talk about that Silkie!, isn't she just gorgeous!! I thought her blue suit was kinda blah but she rocks it!! I glad to see her body is on point too. Congratulations on your wonderful gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a complete surprise had you done that, Brini. However, my PO Box addy has changed. I moved my PO box in November 2015 to a post office closer to my home. The Barbie ornament is a standard gift that I receive from Debra annually since she knows I collect them. I do appreciate the thought.

      I think about you every time I wear one of my beautiful knit scarves which are attention getters. I catch people staring at me and then I realize, it's the scarf. Strangers often will say, "that sure is beautiful scarf" because they both are.

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!