Thursday, June 9, 2022

Barbie Looks Model 10 Again

Barbie Signature Collection Model 10 is back.


Barbie Looks Model 10 from the Barbie Signature Collection returns for comparison photos with other ebony-complexioned dolls, to make note of a couple of things I did not mention or illustrate in my previous post, and to show off her newly pierced ears and earrings. 

Let's begin with the ear piercing and earrings.

I found these awareness-ribbon-shaped faux diamond-encrusted earrings at a dollar store. This and one other similar pair of hoops were the only ones that appealed to me for the doll (they are not something I would personally wear).

I used the earring posts to pierce her earlobes and guided the posts into the lobes without a problem.



The back of her bone straight hair, which was not illustrated in the previous post, is illustrated above.

Mention was made of her silver ankle boots, but a close-up photo was not included in the previous post. The boots have block heels and are the same style (but different color) as the boots worn by Model 6 from this series.

Model 10 loves to pose without even being asked.
The Comparisons

There are a minimum of two photos for each comparison (a close-up and a full-length view). The differences in the shades of their heads/faces are apparent without the dolls' heads touching. In the pictures, the dolls' arms are close or touching. Use the arms as a body complexion comparison reference. 

Fashionistas 125 and 90 (both are redressed with repainted lips) compare their complexions with Model 10.

Model 10 towers so much over these two that she had to slump down for this picture.

Princess of South Africa (redressed) poses with Model 10.

Model 10 and Princess of South Africa in a close-up

Barbie Basics Model No. 4 Collection 001 (redressed) poses with Model 10.

Close-up of Model 10 and Barbie Basics Model No. 4


So far, Model 10 compared her complexion with other Mattel-made dolls. The last complexion comparison with a non-Mattel doll also illustrates quality differences.

Model 10 and Keeki Adaeze by Integrity toys posed for comparison photos. Keeki is surprisingly taller.

Their body complexions are close. Keeki's face coloring matches the color of her body better.

The sculpting and mechanism of Keeki's hands and knee joints are hands-down much better than Model 10's. Model 10's index through ring fingers are fused and her nails are not manicured. All of Keeki's fingers are separate with stiletto-sculpted and painted fingernails. 

It's a known fact that the standard of quality of Integrity Toys dolls is superior to Mattel's. You get what you pay for holds true. The question is, do you want to pay $100 for a doll of superior quality or $20 for one and derive almost the same amount of pleasure? It's a no-brainer for me.

Who has the prettier face?

Both dolls are lovely. Changes or additions to Model 10 that I would suggest to improve quality and appearance: eliminate the odd-grayish jawbone blushing that makes the skin appear "ashy" and match the head and body coloring, manicure the nails, and create a sleeker appearance to the elbow and knee joints. Separate the fingers to add realism, however, finger separation is not a definite requirement for me.

After the ear piercing and complexion comparison photographs, Model 10 needed some "me-time." (I did, too!)

Buy her at retail while quantities remain:


©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!




3 comments:

  1. You are so right. You get what you pay for.... When I started out with Barbie, I was pretty happy and I thought they were pretty remarkable. And then came IT... I still used my Barbies for my blog but little by little the royals took over. While there are still some who remain an active part of my collection (and have been rebodied onto IT bodies), the playline Barbies look more and more like...well...dolls. It's a lot like wine. My tastes have are so much more sophisticated than they were back when I was in college. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand why realism is your preference. Your designs are too sophisticated for Barbie. If I possessed your skills and interest in designing clothes for my dolls, I would prefer IT dolls, too.

    There certainly are stark differences in the quality of the two brands.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  3. April, I understand what you mean about the quality of the dolls in IT! Often I find it kinda hard to get a hold of them...especially the darker dolls.

    And dgb of BDE, I agree with you too! If I did the kind of sewing and photography that April does, I would have IT! So I will go with Mattel on some dolls (I will hunt and wrestle to the grown the IT guys!) and if one of the girls come up, I will get them.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!