Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Past Doll Articles of Note

I am in the processing of selling back-issues of doll magazines on eBay.  Much to my surprise some have been quickly snatched up in buy it now auctions with destinations as far away as The Netherlands.  As of this writing, I have approximately 50 additional magazines to list.  This process includes browsing every page of every issue before the final decision to sell it is made.  While browsing,  I found the some interesting articles and letters to editors.   This post will be devoted to two interesting doll articles.  I will create a separate post for the letters to editors I found interesting.

In the June/July issue of Doll Reader appears an ad for dolls that must be the never-released predecessors to the Mixis dolls.  Browsing this 2006 issue of Doll Reader jarred my memory of reading about Younique Gemz in 2006.  I immediately recognized how similar in appearance they are to Mixis dolls.  Learning that YNU Group was their designer practically confirms they are Mixis prototypes.

Younique Gemz, a presumptively never released doll line of multiracial fashion dolls, possible Mixis prototypes, are from L-R, top-bottom:  Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald.  Not shown, but mentioned in the article (click to enlarge), are Turquoise, Amethyst, Topaz, Opal, and Amber.  Did YNU Group return to the drawing board to perfect the Younique Gemz with the end result being Mixis, Opal, Emerald, Rosa, and Houda?

God's Girlz by Kerusso, a Christian-based gift retailer, made it to market, but are now sold out.

Imani (the brown-skinned 11-1/2-inch fashion doll with natural textured hair) caught my attention while flipping through the April 2010 issue of Dolls magazine.  This is another doll line that I knew of but hesitated to purchase when released.  My thought was the dolls would be around for  a while.  Imani and the other God's Girlz, Sarah, Abigail, and Hannah; designed to be a wholesome alternative to doll play, are sold out.  An accessory pack or two may still be found in Internet search results.  For me, missing out on Imani, which means faith, confirms that when you snooze, you lose.  The dolls' original retail price was $14.99.  One Amazon.com seller has Imani for nearly twice that, but I will pass on that "deal"  because I have "faith" that an Imani will show up at a price I am willing to pay.


dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

11 comments:

  1. Doll magazines are hard for me to part with. I am constantly looking at them. I usually grab a handful and take them to bed with me. They like to keep the computer company. I vaguely remember seeing something about the Keeping It Real dolls. Their faces kind of remind me of the MyScene dolls. Hope you find an Imani at a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vanessa. Imani will surface in due time, if it is meant to be.

    I usually have some form of reading material in bed with me, and doll magazines are no exception. I realize I do not need all of the ones I have accumulated. I have been pleased to discover that they will be of use to others globally. Yesterday one went to Germany and four went to New Zealand to a repeat buyer. It has been nice to refresh my memory on the past articles and images as I browse through, but one refresher is enough. They must go. I have approximately 35 more to list either individually or in groups. Lots of work... but I will do it, a little at a time.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post, Debbie!

    Yes, Younique Gemz seems to have been the first name of the doll series we now know as the Mixis. When I first looked into the Mixis dolls, I came across that name and those photos. YBU Group released information about the Younique Gemz line in February 2006. The Emerald shown in your photo resembles the Emerald that we have today except around the eye screening and the hair style. I don't know if any of the dolls were sold under the Younique Gems dolls. That would be an interesting question to ask Ms. Goodland and the WLBD Group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops meant to type "YNU Group."

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, I hope you find Imani at a good price. I remember seeing the God's Girlz by Kerusso, but they reminded me of cheaper My Scene dolls so I passed on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi D7ana,

      I agree that Emerald from the Younique line looks like the Mixis Emerald. She seems to be the only sculpt used without severe modifications. The others needed improving, in my opinion.

      This is a good question to pose to Ms. Goodland as well as what ever happened to the new Mixis that were planned for 2009/2010 release.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Gods Girlz remind me more of Barbie clones and since I do collect some dark skinned clones when they do not scream dollar store-cheap, Imani interests me. My interest in her is not $27 and some change steep, however.

      dbg

      Delete
    3. Coughing and thumping my own back.

      Did you type $27? Shake my head. Ridiculous price for that doll.

      Delete
    4. LOL!

      Yep... $27.77 to be exact.
      Hey D7ana,

      I couldn't believe it either.

      I think my Imani want-itis is dissipating. :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  6. Interesting to look back and see dolls that interested and not so much interested you. I have all my Barbie Bazaar & some Miller's magazines. I'm going through those in stages but removing the articles I want to keep and getting rid of the rest.

    I love reading through my old magazines since there is really no new doll magazine out there that interests me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dollz4Moi,

    I am keeping the several Barbie Bazaar and Miller's magazines that I have, too. I have saved or scanned articles of interest from doll magazines with a file drawer filled with these.

    You're right about doll magazines these days; there are really none that offer much of interest. Now that Doll Reader and Dolls have merged, Dolls is better than it was in prior years. For now, I will maintain my digital subscription to Dolls (it's only $10 a year for 12 issues).

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!