Friday, November 16, 2012

Christmas Portraits

This post had been in draft mode for several months to nearly a year if not a year.  I was undecided until now whether I should publish what I deem sensitive, personal information, even if it is doll related.  

Recently my husband inquired about the whereabouts of a pair of dolls.  This same question had been asked by my #1 grandson approximately two weeks prior.  Their questions prompted me to finally publish this post.

The dolls in question are portrait dolls of my two grandsons (my daughter's children).  They had been readily visible in the doll room prior to my moving them to a safer location a while back.  Made of resin but not quite as fragile as porcelain, resin is still fragile.  I thought this doll pair would be safer in their new location, but that area hid them from view (as illustrated in the image below).  

Built-in wall shelf has additional tiered rows of dolls in front.  The two dolls my husband and grandson asked about are on the fourth shelf, obscured by three indigenous Australian dolls and two Baby Whitney dolls. (Click to enlarge.)


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Caleb and Logan mini portrait dolls by Ping Lau

In the summer of 2008, I commissioned doll artist, Ping Lau, to make portrait dolls of my grandsons, Caleb and Logan.  The boys were 7-1/2 and 2-1/2 at the time.  After agreeing, Ping asked me to submit several photographs of the boys taken at different angles.  I did, but with much difficulty because the "baby" was not very cooperative.  I submitted some 30 photographs, and by Christmas of 2008, the portrait dolls of the boys arrived -- a perfect Christmas present from me to me.   They remain my top favorite dolls and probably always will.

I made my first doll video using images of the various stages of the dolls' production that Ping shared with me.   Until now, I have only shared the video with my daughter and a few select online doll friends.  I have now decided to share it publicly.

The video also includes completed images of the dolls along with some of the images of the boys that were used to capture their likeness in doll form.

I hope you enjoy the video and soundtrack.  (It takes a few seconds to begin and at the end there is a pause before the credits roll -- proof of my first time using Microsoft's MovieMaker.)

The lyrics to the soundtrack are below the final image.




~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Moved to the opposite side of the doll room to another built-in shelf, the portrait dolls are now visible.

The portrait dolls of my grandsons are now in a more visible area in the doll room as illustrated in the above image.  This should please both my husband and Grandson #1, who is now 11-1/2.  The "baby," who is now 6-1/2, probably had not missed their formerly blocked view.

The Makings of You
Curtis Mayfield, 1970



Add a little sugar, honeysuckle, and
A great big expression of happiness
Boy, you couldn't miss
With a dozen roses, such would astound you
The joy of children laughing around you
These are the makings of you
It is true, the makings of you

The righteous way to go
Little one would know
Or believe if I told them so
You’re second to none
The love of all mankind
Should reflect some sign
Of these words I’ve tried to recite
They are close but not quite
Almost impossible to do
Reciting the makings of you

The righteous way to go
Little one would know
Or believe if I told them so
You’re second to none
The love of all mankind
Should reflect some sign
Of these words I’ve tried to recite
They are close but not quite
Almost impossible to do
Reciting the makings of you


dbg

14 comments:

  1. What a special Christmas gift not only to yourself but to the whole family! It was very interesting to see how a portrait doll comes together. Thanks for sharing the video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Paulette. At the time you viewed the video, it was embedded from Flickr. Unfortunately, Flickr did not upload it in its entirety. I have since corrected that issue.

    I am glad you were able to view the first portion to see the doll making process. Feel free to re-view at your leisure.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from Spain: I did not know they had artists who could create images like dolls with real children. What a great idea. Your grandchildren are very cute. Thanks for sharing this family video. I adore your room full of dolls ..... Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marta,

    Thank you for the compliments on my "crowded" doll roll and my grandsons.

    Ping Lau is one of the best portrait doll artists. Her dolls are typically 30-something inches tall... too big for me. I asked her if she could make smaller portrait dolls and she agreed. The portrait dolls of my grandsons are the first mini dolls she made. They stand approximately 12 and 9-1/2 inches. If you get an opportunity, browse the pages of her portrait doll gallery. Most of the dolls look almost identical to the real children.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Very interesting! Thanks so much for choosing to share this with us. The dolls are amazing!congrats on getting them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, truly amazing!! Ping did an awesome job in recreating their image. They are really handsome kids. I especially love Logan's deep dimples...so cute! And your room....a dream come true! I love love your doll room. I'm glad you decided to share this post with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is an amazing artist! Thank you for sharing her process and your family with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chynadoll,

    Thanks for the congratz!

    Georgia Girl and Muff,

    Ping did do a fabulous job.

    GG, Logan's dimples melt my heart. He's such a very sweet kid. Caleb is too, but that little one is a charmer.

    I love the doll room, too. It also serves as my work-from-home office, but the dolls take up more space than the office area. They are my office decor.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! Not only did I enjoy the video but I'm am just thrilled to see the dolls. Why do the men in our lives hate on our dolls?. I really love the room too, Of course, so very jealous of your doll room and all those gorgeous doll. It would be like heaven just to sit there and discovery them all. You are the only person I know with the best office décor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Brini!

    I made the Makings of Caleb and Logan movie on 06/18/11. It took me well over a year to build up the nerve to share it here. Glad you enjoyed.

    The décor combined is a work-stress or anytime stress reliever.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwwww, such a cute video Debbie! You did a great job on this video. And of course seeing your favorite dolls always brings a huge smile to my face. They are just so cute! Thanks for sharing the video with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely BEAUTFIFUL!! Thanks for sharing!!

    Hugs!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!