Friday, April 10, 2015

I Did It! I Re-Bodied a Blythe!


With free time on my hands, I watched a couple of YouTube videos about opening Blythe doll heads to get an idea of what I needed to do to successfully rebody my dolls.

I found this video the most helpful and chose to rebody the doll with the fishtail braid first.

This is the head of the Afro version, yet to be rebodied.  The red arrow points to a spring that had to be removed (along with the three screws) before opening the head of the rebodied doll.

The most difficult part in rebodying Blythe was detaching one end of a spring that controls the pull-string movement of the doll's eye changing mechanism.  One end of the spring, inside the doll's head, is attached to the eye mechanism; the other end is attached to a vertical strip of plastic in the back of the doll's head, as shown above.  This was the end that had to be removed.

The video suggested clamping the spring with hemostats or grasping with tweezers to lift it away from the plastic bar.  I used tweezers.  It took several tries before I was able to lift it off.  I had already unscrewed the screws before removing the spring. 

The head has been opened with the old body still in place.

The neck groove of the new body has been placed into position.  It rests on a ledge of plastic inside the back panel of the head.




Next, I opened up a jumbo paper clip, leaving a hook on one end.  This would be used next to guide the spring back onto the plastic bar before closing the two head panels, as shown next.

The looped end of the spring has been placed onto the hook created with the paperclip before guiding the paperclip and spring through the opening in the back panel and finally reattaching the spring to the plastic bar.

The front and back head panels are snapped back into place, and the three screws replaced.

Voila!  She has her new articulated body.
 Lots of posing followed by trying on clothes took place next. 

Sitting pretty

This is her best seated with crossed legs pose.  We didn't try a crossed ankles pose, but she can do it.

Lotus position

A perfect lunge

We wondered if her new curves would fit into the same Sparkle Girlz fashion; they do.

Unfortunately her flat feet, even though the ankles are articulated, are too large for Barbie's ankle boots.  The black and white oxfords made for her do not match this particular fashion.  So... 

Blythe tried on another Sparkle Girlz fashion and changed her violet eyes to green.  (A girl has to coordinate!)

She tried on one additional dress.

Next, her fishtail braid was redone.

And Blythe struck one final pose.
Afro Blythe will receive her new body as soon as time and frame of mind permit.
 
dbg

26 comments:

  1. You're Blythe doll is beautiful. Where did you get her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robotica - I purchased my two Blythes from Aliexpress.com

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Thammie! It was nerve racking, but really not so bad as I had imagined after it was over. Having the right tools in the right size is the key (and patience!).

      dbg

      Delete
  3. She looks great in her new body and poses. Great fishtail braid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two thumbs up for the rebodying! The posability looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She feels so much better and her confident attitude has increased tremendously.
    :-)

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  6. That body is perfect for her - love the added pose-ability that she has now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go head MacGyver! That as well worth the effort. She looks so much better now. I didn't even know you had Blythe dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Vanessa, you probably missed my post last month about my two Blythe dolls. The Afro version was my first doll purchase for 2015. A girl can't just have one of a particular type doll, so I had to get her a friend.
      Blythe and Blythe

      dbg

      Delete
  8. Wow!! You braved it! Great job Debbie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a different a new body makes! Amazing. She looks even more fun to photograph. I have often wondered why Blythe dolls don't come with more articulation. Have fun with her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Farrah Lily,

      When they began reproducing the 70s version of the original Blythe, an attempt was probably made to stay true to the original doll's body design.

      I noticed this morning that one Aliexpress seller is offering nude Blythe with an articulated body. These have unpainted faces and no hair and were not available at the time I purchased my dolls in January. I think I probably would have wanted one with hair and facial paint, so it is just as well for me that they were not available.
      Articulated Blythe.

      dbg

      Delete
  10. She looks cool in every outfit. Putting her together made it look like you were building a robot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Muff. Seeing how she works was interesting after watching the video and actually opening her up and seeing it first hand, all the while hoping I could "put her back together again."

      dbg

      Delete
  11. I like her much MUCH better on the new body! She looks so cute in her different poses with her different outfits. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that I didn't order this Blythe body 2 years ago after seeing this post! LOL

      Delete
  12. Good Lawd, the hospital is busy. Between you and your husband your two be working those dolls out, lol. She looks great on her new body.

    ReplyDelete
  13. już sama nie wiem, czym bardziej się zachwycać -
    Jej wΕ‚osami czy oszaΕ‚amiajΔ…cym nowym ciaΕ‚em :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!