Wednesday, April 1, 2020

No-sew Pleated Face mask


Prodigyrls Nicole aspires to become a doctor.

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic that is devastating the world, most people wear some form of face mask while out in public.  Initially, US officials informed us that face masks were not necessary.  However, if a disease is airborne and can enter your body through your eyes, nose, throat, and ears, in my opinion, wearing a face mask will reduce the risk of infection.  I have been wearing one since early March.  While wearing the mask and even when not wearing one at home, I continue to avoid touching my face.  While in public, I only touch things that I absolutely have to touch with gloved hands.  I practice not cross-contaminating things while wearing gloves, which are removed after I return to my car.  The gloves are properly removed and disposed of at home.

Due to a face mask shortage, several tutorials on how to make face masks have been posted online. I modified the instructions described and illustrated at the link below to create a no-sew face mask for a 17- to 18-inch doll using a 7 x 7-inch piece of cloth and clear rubber bands.  (The adult face mask tutorial uses an 18 x 18-inch scarf and ponytail holders.)

Prodigyrls Nicole (who aspires to be a doctor) was used as my model. Nicole's face mask was very easy to make as illustrated in the next photos.

A 7 x 7-inch square of cloth and two small rubber bands were used to make the mask.

The top half of the cloth was folded toward the center.

The bottom half of the cloth was folded to meet the top fold.

The cloth was turned over and the top and bottom halves of this side were folded toward the center.

The cloth was turned over once again and the rubber bands placed about an inch from the end on both sides.

Next, the two ends were folded in as illustrated here.

The mask was placed against Nicole's face so that it covers her nose and mouth and the rubber bands were stretched around her ears.

This photo illustrates the rubber band placement around Nicole's ears.

While this no-sew mask works well for a doll like Nicole, I am not sure it will fit snug enough against the human face to provide the necessary protection against potential virus droplets.  A pipe cleaner could be added underneath the top fold to make it adjustable for a snug fit.

__________

As you know, the coronavirus (COVID-19) is deadly, particularly in immune-compromised people, in the elderly, and those with preexisting conditions.  What makes it so deadly is that it takes a few days before a person even knows s/he has it and until they do know, they may have unknowingly infected others, who infect others, and so on and so on.  So, please be safe, practice social distancing, wash your hands frequently, don't touch your face with dirty hands or after you've touched something with your bare hands, and if you do not have to leave home, please follow the recommendations of healthcare officials and stay home.

The mayor of my city asked local residents "who are you protecting by staying at home?"  Some of their responses were:

"for my husband who has advanced Alzheimer's disease"

"for myself because I have underlying health issues"

"I stay inside to help my grandfather."

"for my patients, who are immunocompromised"

"for my 91 year old mother who is in assisted living"

"protecting a grandson...and my new great-granddaughter"

"For my father who will be 93 in April"



Staying home saves lives.

To all the essential employees in the world who cannot stay home, we love and appreciate you!

This too shall pass, soon I pray.

No-Sew Pleated Face Mask Instructions

dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for following, commenting, and sharing using the share button below.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

5 comments:

  1. Aperson. Stay inside and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! You too!
      (Nicole says she wants to be a doctor.)

      dbg

      Delete
  3. It's good that you are going to make some masks for youself and for your husband even though they are not reqirements. They will be added protection when you must go out. I am getting some from a doll friend who makes them. In these trying times, we can't be too careful.

    Take care and stay safe, Linda.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!