Tuesday, November 20, 2012

16-inch FLOTUS Do You Have a Favorite?

Since 2009, post President Barack Obama's first election in 2008, there have been at least four, 16-inch vinyl or porcelain "portrait" dolls of First Lady Michelle Obama.  This post combines images from past blog posts of the various 16-inch FLOTUS dolls manufactured by Ashton-Drake, Danbury Mint, and Franklin Mint. The images, except where indicated, are mine (all rights reserved) and are of actual dolls, not the prototypes, which in at least one case was very misleading as the produced doll looked nothing like the advertised prototype.

Doll 1:  Danbury Mint's Michelle Obama Inaugural Doll in porcelain, not articulated

Danbury Mint's Michelle Obama Inaugural Doll wears replica of off-white gown designed by Jason Wu (worn by FLOTUS in January 2009).

See this doll and the advertised prototype here.


Doll 2:  Danbury Mint's Michelle Obama Lifelike Doll in vinyl

Danbury Mint's Michelle Obama Lifelike Doll wears replicate of the outfit worn during the Black History Month gathering on February 9, 2009.

This and the photograph immediately above are courtesy of Debra Richardson




Doll 3:  First Lady of Style Michelle Obama doll by Ashton-Drake in vinyl, articulated

First Lady of Style Michelle Obama doll by Ashton-Drake dressed in a glittering black gown inspired by the dress the First Lady wore as she greeted guests to the Govenor's Ball, February 29, 2009.




Doll 4:  Franklin Mint's Michelle Obama Official White House Vinyl Portrait Doll 


Michelle Obama Official White House Vinyl Portrait Doll  by Franklin Mint wears a black sheath inspired by the dress worn for the First Lady's official White House portrait.



Based on these images and/or if you own or have seen either of the dolls in person, which of the dolls illustrated here is your favorite and why?

Thanks in advance for your answer/comment.



dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

Please visit and "Like" The Doll Blogs: When Dolls Speak I Listen

20 comments:

  1. I like #4 best (although I wish the doll was articulated!) because it most closely captures the First Lady's likeness. Doll #2 is also a good likeness and is articulated.

    I am puzzled by #3 since that doll hardly looks like Michelle Obama at all! If I had only seen the pic without a caption, I would never have guessed that it was meant

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMO the Danbury Mint vinyl doll (#2) is the best likeness, and I also like the outfit the best, especially the sweater. That Ashton-Drake doll is positively awful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite is #2. I wish someone would make a 1:6 scale FLOTUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fell for the promo pics of the porcelain Danbury Mint FLOTUS, and was VERY disappointed with her. Her "sausage" arms really put me off. And I waited too long and couldn't return her. She's in the box on a shelf {sigh}. If I had to choose a favorite among the four posted here, I'd choose #4 for her face, but the non-articulation is a deal-breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Franklin Mint Flotus. She seems to have captured the likeness of Flotus the best. I too was disappointed in the Danbury Mint first one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doll #4 is spot on and closely resembles one of my favorite pictures of the First Lady. You can see it here. http://shimmerandbliss.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/First_Lady_Michelle_Obama_Official_Portrait_2009_HiRes.jpg. Doll #2 is close but just misses the mark. I do like her outfit. Doll #3 is not even close.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello from Spain: the doll number 2 is the most similar to Michelle Obama. In my country are not for sale and my government prohibits create dolls with the image of presidents and other politicians. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Marta, that your government prohibits this. Why is that? To prevent leader "cults" (such as that of Franco)?

      Delete
  8. I like the articulation of #2, but I think that #4 is the best likeness. I would want to swap heads on those 2.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions on these dolls. It appears Dolls 2 and 4 are the favorites. I like Doll 2's fashion and articulation. I think Danbury Mint used the same sculpt for 1 and 2; one is porcelain, the other vinyl.

    I don't know what Ashton-Drake was thinking or smoking when they produced their version.

    I would also like to see/own an ariculated playscale portrait doll of FLOTUS.

    For now #4 is also my favorite.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love doll number 4 the best. I would so want to redress her in doll number 1's dress. Or wait and see what she is wearing come January. I super wish there was a Barbie size FLOTUS. I have some great Barbie dresses I would love to dress her in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan,

      I think if you see #1's dress in person, you may rethink redressing doll #4 in it. It was so poorly made. I was very disappointed with everything about doll #1... including her painted-on shoes!

      Maybe we'll see a Barbie sized FLOTUS within the next four years. Keeping hope alive.

      dbg

      Delete
  11. #4 is the version that most resembles her to me. I also like how understated and simple she looks.

    #3 is uh... interesting - in a Bride of Chucky kind of way. 0.o

    ReplyDelete
  12. #4 Michelle Obama Official White House Vinyl Portrait Doll by Franklin Mint - not that I have any of these.

    I think the "Something Sexy Adele" by Integrity looks most like the First Lady among playscale dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, D7ana, if it's not playscale, chances are you don't have it, but thanks for sharing your opinion.

      Don't you know I went and googled, "Something Sexy Adele" to see what the doll looked like... thinking maybe I could purchase and redress the doll as FLOTUS. As soon as I saw the image results, I remembered that I already own the doll and that I purchased it from you!

      If her hair was the right length, I might consider giving Something Sexy Adele a FLOTUS makeover, but it's too long and I'm not about to cut it or rewig her. I do see some similarities, but she's not quite FLOTUS, IMO. I need the real deal in playscale.

      dbg

      Delete
  13. The last one of course,as this is the one that resembles the First Lady the most!:)

    I found this post very interesting,as I have not seen these dolls before not even the images!Thanks for sharing!!:) Keep in touch!:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your opinion, Pam. I am glad you were able to see these dolls for the first time together.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!