Tuesday, May 7, 2013

And Then There were Six in the Mix


The above dolls represent my formerly incomplete Mixis doll family.  They are from L-R:  Emerald Okada, three versions of Opal Nkrumah, and Rosa Dominguez Katz. 

Mixis dolls are unique, 12-inch dolls representing a racial mixture of two or more ethnicities.  No other doll company has created dolls devoted to people of mixed racial heritage, which is one of the reasons I wanted to own at least one YNU Group Inc. Mixis doll to support and applaud the company's efforts.  Everyone interested in dolls, little girls in particular, should be exposed to or own dolls that represents who-they-are.

My first Mixis doll purchase was made in February 2009 after having been introduced to the line by D7ana at A Philly Collector of Playscale Dolls.  Her enthusiasm about the line was and remains infectious, prompting my purchase of  Mixis Limited Edition Opal (now known as First Edition Opal). 

As things go with me, one doll in a particular series or line is usually never enough.  Usually two suffice, but by June 2009, Sunshine Opal (jointed arms version -- now known as Limited Edition Opal) and the curly haired Sunshine Opal (now also renamed Lt'd Ed) had joined the first doll to form a trio.

As described in her online profile, Opal is of Ghanaian and British descent.  Of the Mixis dolls, curly haired Opal is the only wigged doll.  All others have rooted hair.

Sunshine (Lt'd Ed) Rosa and Emerald also arrived in June 2009.  Rosa's mix is Latin and Jewish while Emerald's is more complex.  She refers to herself as "Black American/Native American, and Japanese." 

Some four years after my first Opal arrived, recent online chatter about the line and doll purchases by fellow collectors influenced the thinking that my incomplete Mixis collection needed Houda.  To complete my collection, the French and Lebanese, Houda arrived at the end of April. 

Houda Degas is shown in her initial photograph taken upon arrival prior to removal from her well-constructed box.  She wears a brightly colored mint green and light blue sundress, handmade espadrilles, and has a matching light blue shoulder bag.

Below houda joins the ladies for a head shot and one final full-view image (click to enlarge):

Emerald (far left) wears an original Mixis fashion which was a gift from a Mixis retailer.  Immediately next to Emerald, is First Edition Opal dressed in her original fashion.  Curly haired Opal and Lt'd Edition Opal (with straight hair) wear Mixis fashions, Rockabilly Girl and Apres Ski, respectively.  Dark-haired, lovely Rosa wears her original fashion as does Houda (far right).


Other Mixis Links:
Dolls from Around the World, Canada Too
Mixis website
Mixis Dolls by YNU Group
User:DAF_Collector/Mixis_doll (needs to be updated to reflect the current names of both versions)
Mixis Dolls Go Viral
US Retailer:  4KidsLikeMe
US Retailer:  Gile Toys (At the time of this post, Emerald is the only Mixis doll in stock.)

dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

Please visit and "Like" The Doll Blogs: When Dolls Speak I Listen

15 comments:

  1. Your ladies are lovely. I've considered buying a couple of them, but I think the two I wanted weren't articulated. I can't remember now. I didn't know they were all biracial. Hence the name Mixis! Duh. Thanks for that lightbulb moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a delight for me to share doll information. Glad I could do that with this post for you, Vanessa.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Ohh, I've never heard of them. They all look great. I especially like how tastefull their clothing is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their original and extra boxed clothing. It is both tasteful and very well made.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Very nice collection! I have heard of the name, but never knew the specifics as you have stated in this post. It seems to be a really cool collection to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool dolls indeed, GG. Fully articulation, they'd be perfect!

      dbg

      Delete
  4. Beautiful girls! I would probably consider purchasing two of the ladies, your Rosa and Emerald are very appealing to me. Since they are first edition they may not be articulate. Can you tell me what the size comparison of their head to a Barbie head? Also, do you know if their heads are removable for body swapping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tracy India,

      I tried answering your questions in a quick blog post which can be read here.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing this information about the Mixis doll series, DBG. Glad to see Houda has joined your group - I love her nose. Nothing Bratz like about it, lol.

    I have to update both the eBay guide and the Wikipedia pages to reflect the name changes. You know I will be adding this and the following post to the Viral Pinterest board. Perhaps that board will go viral someday ;-D It's encouraging to see the interest your posts have generated for these dolls.

    May those new dolls get produced - fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, D7ana. Feel free to share this post to the Pinterest board.

      I too hope the others are produced. I really like Bryanna Singh.

      dbg

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness. She may look nothing like me, but a French/Lebanese doll is about sixteen degrees closer to my English/Jordanian than I ever thought I'd see. I find that her designated heritage actually feels more important to me than finding a doll that just happens to look like me. And her nose! It actually exists!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!