Thursday, April 27, 2017

Zig and Zig #50 or #57?


Zig and Zag Curvy Barbie

I had no plans to buy Zig and Zag Barbie, none whatsoever, but the person who often reminds me of the number of dolls I own was with me at Walmart the day she was purchased.  I was just browsing.  He saw Zig and Zag (ZiZi) and asked me if I had her.  After I answered, "No."  He (surprisingly) said, "You should buy her. You know you need a doll with her hair shaved on one side."  I corrected him by saying, "That side of her hair is braided.  I don't really like her."  We went back and forth for a minute and I relented after he pointed out her curvy figure.  "I guess I'll buy her, but her lip color is going to be changed," I said.

At home, the day after the purchase, I recalled not having removed the doll from the shopping bag or seeing it after when got home.  I went to the car to see if the package was there, no ZiZi.  I asked Husband if he remembered getting the bag when he grabbed the few others from the store counter.  He said, "She [the checker] put everything in one bag."  As it turned out, he left the bag there, so we had to return to Walmart to get my doll.

So the Zig and Zag I originally did not want, was wanted after all because she was paid for.


After remaining in her box for some three weeks or so, I finally removed ZiZi to give her a three-part, quick makeover.  Before the makeover began, I noticed the front of the box indicates she is Fashionista #57 while #50 is shown on the back of the box, as illustrated above.

Cellophane has been removed, but she is still attached to the box liner.

Bright pink lip color

ZiZi shows off her molded braids and the hole in the back of  her head caused by the plastic fastener.  Mattel must do better in this regard!

Blonde side.  I loosened up her stiffened curls a bit with my fingers.

The Makeover
First up was to paint parts in her hair in between her cornrowed braids.  No one has a black scalp, Mattel!

ZiZi now has parts that separate her cornrowed braids.

I used acrylic paint (a mixture of Real Brown and Chocolate Bar) to create the appearance of parted hair/exposed scalp that separates her cornrows.

Part two was simple.  She had her ears pierced and gold hoop earrings (borrowed from another doll) were inserted.

Part three of ZiZi's makeover was to remove her pink (pank) lipstick and apply a more suitable color for her skin tone.

Using fingernail polish remover, ZiZi's lip color was removed.  I tried a variety of acrylic paint colors, but settled on Gold Medal fingernail polish as her new lip color.

Her new lip color almost matches her blonde hair.

ZiZi and I are not thrilled with her original sundress and shoes, but clothing here for curvy girls is quite limited.  The original fashion and shoes will have to do for now.  (On viewing this picture, it appears she was about to have a little wardrobe malfunction.  I thought I corrected the position of her top, which easily slides out of place when the doll is manipulated, before taking photos, but I missed this one.)

dbg
Follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black
Check out my eBay listings here.

26 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, she's going to be pretty. Yeah, I don't care for that garish pink crap they used on this doll either. That gold is an interesting choice and a definite improvement. I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, RagingMoon1987 -- I'm pretty much done with her. She just needs new clothes, which is no easy feat since she's curvy and the choices for curvy Barbie clothing are limited.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. I've seen pics if hee with the the lipstick removed given the impression of a natural lip and I've also since a darker lip both were really cute. She also looks good with her hair shorten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the one photo I shared with her lip color removed, she has the appearance of a nude lip, which is becoming on her. I have also seen the darker lip color and the shorter hair as well. She can be given many different looks other than Mattel's vision for her.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. I like what you did with! The scap thing bothered me but I never thought about painting it. I'll have to try that! I love glod lip color. That was something I was thinking about too. I will say that this doll ,to me ,seems like the kinda girl to change up lip colors with her mood and outfit. I wish I could do that with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Leo.

      I purchased some oil pastels from WalMart to use for another project. For a fleeting moment, I thought about trying one of those on her lips, but went ahead with the fingernail polish, which is easily removable with nail polish remover. I might try the pastels to see if they work. The color options for lips might be limited, however. Color pencils might also allow you to change the lip color from time to time.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. Favorite line in review: "No one has a black scalp, Mattel!" Giving ZiZi a natural scalp is such an improvement, as is changing the ubiquitous "Mattel Pink" lipstick (which should be retired, even for pale Barbies).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gini! You gave me an afternoon chuckle.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. Some Dollar Tree stores sell fashion doll outfits. They seem to have a wider cut. I found a dress there that was almost a clone of what Chambray Chic Barbie (also a curvy Barbie) wore and the Dollar Tree outfit actually looks better on her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information about fashion doll clothes at Doll Tree. I'll have to check my local stores to see what's available.

      dbg

      Delete
  6. You have improved the look of this doll, Debbie. When I saw the preview for this post in my reading list, I just knew that you had changed her lip color. I received mine in the mail yesterday. I'll probably remove her lipstick, but I don't know if I'll do any painting (it's doubtful). I wonder if I could remove the black paint from her scalp, instead of painting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roxanne.

      It might be possible to remove the black paint from her head with acetone, but you'd probably remove any color that's underneath. The blonde part of her hair is sparsely painted yellow. I am not sure I would attempt removing the black. I initially thought about flocking that side of her head, but creating parts seemed the most logical thing to do for me. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

      dbg

      Delete
  7. I definitely prefer your makeover! The eye for detail that Mattel lacks over the last couple of years is a real shame. I don't find any of the current Fashionistas of any interest (although I always live in hope that there will be an opportunity to buy into the range so do always check it out when I'm near a toy aisle). I especially love the braid detail it adds a lot more realism to the hairstyle and the gold lipstick, Zizi looks a lot edgier rather than the odd pink! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julius! More detail would cost more money to produce these dolls that Mattel probably considers "throw-away," since they are made for children (they fail to realize collectors find these dolls "collectible" for various purposes and reasons). It would be nice if they would improve their collector's line. Other than the City Chic Silkstone that I received as a gift for Christmas 2016, there is not one doll in that line that has interested me since Claudette from the Harlem Renaissance collection. Madam LaVina is an odd-looking doll and will probably never interest me. I do like her curvy body and articulation, but the face poses a problem. She'd have to be at a giveaway price for me to purchase.

      Funny you should mention edgier...

      dbg

      Delete
  8. Thanks for telling us about her. I really like your makeover; it's a huge improvement. I wonder how she'd look with the braids painted gold like the rest of her hair but perhaps that wouldn't be hip enough.:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maricha,

      I was sure you knew about this one. I had been passing her up for several months on Wal-Mart visits, leaving her behind until this last time.

      I think black braided side or any other different color does create the edgy look Mattel was striving for. I have seen a photo of someone else's doll with the braided area painted blonde to match the rooted color. It would have looked much better, in my opinion, had the parted scalp area been defined by painting it to match the doll's complexion.

      dbg

      Delete
  9. Debbie, I love her makeover. I painted the lips on mine a dark wine color. The gold looks really pretty! Thanks for the tip on painting the scalp!! Great idea! ๐Ÿ’ก I will do mine the same way. She ooks SO much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, GG. I know your doll looks much better with the darker lip color. She'll look even better with the scalp painted.

      dbg

      Delete
  10. I too have written about the Fashionista dolls, but with a different focus than what you have written. I was investigating the sizes and numbering system, plus I told you about the Dollar Tree outfits. These are the four columns I've written. I hope the links work. If not, you might want to try copying and pasting.
    Mary

    Fashionista sizes part one
    http://skippercollector.blogspot.com/2017/04/fashionista-comments-part-1.html

    Fashionista sizes part two
    http://skippercollector.blogspot.com/2017/04/fashionistas-part-two.html

    Fashionista sizes part three
    http://skippercollector.blogspot.com/2017/04/fashionista-comments-part-three.html

    Fashionista sizes part four
    http://skippercollector.blogspot.com/2017/04/fashionista-comments-part-four.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the links. I've read and commented on most of your Fashionista's posts. I really want the Doll Tree outfit now that I have seen yours.

      dbg

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing this number confusion, Debbie! Next time I'm on a Fashionista Barbie Facebook Group, I'll ask about it and share your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, D7ana! Thanks in advance for asking about the number confusion.

      dbg

      Delete
  12. Oh and I LOVE what you've done with her hair - painting in her brown scalp - and lip color. That chalky, cheesy pink is hideous on her. I had to buy her to ave her from that ghastly color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, D7Ana! I'm sure if she could, your doll would extend her gratitude to you.

      dbg

      Delete
  13. Ack! "save" her, not "ave her."

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!