Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Another Redress and Wig for Girly Fashion Doll Kayla

Supplies for creating a wig for I'm a Girly Fashion Doll Kayla


After Kayla tried on the African girl's wig (in the previous post), I decided to buy supplies to make a wig for Kayla. I purchased hair netting (that I didn't use), synthetic hair locs, a latch hook crochet needle, and hair ornaments. Not shown above, and what was used, is a wide mesh headband. This was used instead of the hair netting.

In this photo, Kayla models the black mesh headband after it was tapered to fit her oddly-shaped head. (I wanted a brown mesh headband, but brown was not in stock.)

The mesh headband is secured in place with a silicone ponytail holder that is placed over the edge of the headband and into the circumferential groove in Kayla's head. I left a little slack in the headband so I could easily weave the loc strands into the holes in the mesh. 

I chose brown synthetic locs for Kayla.

The color and texture of the locs are better visible in this photo.

I started from the back and worked my way around the crown of Kayla's head before filling in the center with the locs.

The top ends of the locs are prelooped which eliminates the need to create loops with each loc before weaving into (whatever is being used as the base). In my case, the mesh headband is the base. I used the crochet needle to weave the first few locs shown above. This was a slower process than doing it by hand. So, I completed most of the weave without the crochet needle.

The Completed Look

After trimming and adding hair ornaments, Kayla models her new wig.

Close-up

View from the back (additional trimming took place after this photo).

This side view was taken before all hair ornaments were added.

Kayla has a total of 10 gold-tone hair ornaments.

A Quick Redress

Dressed in a yellow long-sleeved tunic, black leggings, red boots, with a red ponytail holder in her hair, Kayla channels her inner Amanda Gorman, the first person to be named National Youth Poet Laureate of the United States in 2017; the youngest White House inaugural poet having recited her poem, “The Hill We Climb,” during President Biden’s inauguration, and the first poet ever to perform during the Super Bowl.

The tunic came with a thin black belt. I chose to belt it with a red ribbon.

Amanda Gorman is also the author of the book, "The Hill We Climb," which is the inaugural poem recited at President Biden's inauguration. Gorman's new book, Call Us What We Carry, will be released in December 2021.

Along with the gold hair ornaments for Kayla, I thought about my Heidi Ott doll when I saw and purchased a pack of wooden hair ornaments. She models her new ornaments in the last photos.

These are indeed perfect for her.

The ornaments decorate the front, both sides, and the back of the hair.

The entire pack of 14 wooden hair ornaments was used.
______

After drafting this post, I checked Amazon to see if quantities of Kayla remain. I was surprised to see the price lowered to $11.98, about half the price I paid. Even if you do not find Kayla's face appealing, the wig is worth $12. The all-vinyl body is worth more. Perhaps the body can even be used with another head. Just saying ... Here's the buy page link.


dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Facebook page or bookmark the home page of Black Doll Collecting and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!


2 comments:

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!