Seller's photograph with visible strands of hair in doll's face
Jasmine arrived two weeks ago nude, as expected, but I did not expect the flaws I discovered that the disingenuous seller failed to disclose, even after I emailed my customary question to her prior to bidding: Does the doll have any flaws that are not mentioned in the item description? Her answer was, "No, except she's a little dusty." With that reply, I felt it safe to bid on the final day of the auction. I am happy that I did not bid higher than I did.
The Flaws and Discovery:
Jasmine's original ponytail holders were wrapped with baby's breath that was in the process of deteriorating. Her braids were full of it! I immediately removed and discarded the ponytail holders and removed the crumbs from her braids. Next, I cut the strands of hair that were danging in her face.
Not a flaw, but I was both shocked and amused at Jasmine's body/leg construct. Her legs are attached to her body with Velcro, reinforced with brown threaded string from the leg to the cloth body. This provides mobility for her legs and allows her to assume a ballerina pose as well as sit.
Jasmine's Velcro and string leg attachment with leg separated from body
Leg attaches to body with Velcro
After removing the baby's breath from her hair and braids, I washed her vinyl to remove the mounds of dust. While doing this, I kept scratching my finger on something underneath her arms and discovered that both side seams of her breastplate have separated. One side has a wider separation than the other. I am sure the seller knew this, but failed to disclose this information to me.
Lying on her side with arm raised, the right breastplate seam separation is visible.
With doll lying on opposite side with arm raised, the left breastplate seam gap is visible.
I could probably heat the vinyl with a blow dryer to mold it closer together, but I left it as is for now.
After dusting her off, I applied a small amount of olive oil to her dull-looking vinyl. In the process, I discovered a few scratches on her cheek. Fortunately, I was able to smooth these out with a No. 2 pencil eraser. Over the erased scratches, I applied knock-off Lemon Pledge-type furniture polish.
Cheek scratches before
Cheek scratches erased and polished away
Another after photo of cheek
Finally, I dressed Jasmine in an off-white pageant-style dress that a fellow collector sent me several years ago and a pair or brand new, white infant-size tights that were in my dresser drawer. The dress looks quite similar to the white ballerina dress Jasmine wore originally and has a tailor-made fit. It is embellished with antique lace, embroidered pearls, and clear sequins that complement her crystal necklace and matching bracelet. I pierced her ears and added a pair of crystal stud earrings. Next, I added a pair of white patent-leather shoes that were stored in my big-doll shoe stash. I knot-tied two satin ribbons on each braid without a bow. Finally, after purchasing two fancy ribbon bows from a beauty supply store for 50 cents each, I clipped these to the top of each braid over the knot in each satin ribbon. Because I used what I already had on hand, Jasmine's outfit cost me $1.
Here she is, so fresh and so clean.
The back of the dress ties with two waist ribbons and has another big bow made in back. It also has a crinoline half slip.
Even though she arrived with undisclosed flaws, I am still happy about finding her. She's probably happy, too.
The day Jasmine arrived, I emailed the seller to let her know I was not happy with the doll's condition. To date, that email has gone unanswered.