Saturday, December 29, 2012

Got Christie Love!

When I look at dolls, sometimes I see people.  This was the case with Fireside Chatting Kenya.  In her face, I saw Teresa Graves, the actress who played the starring role in the 1974 Get Christie Love! made-for-TV movie which was later developed into a 60-minute, weekly TV series.

As noted in a previous blog post, the manufactured Get Christie Love doll has been on my mental doll wish list for years but has remained elusive.   After "seeing" Graves in Fireside Chatting Kenya, I decided to transform one of my Kenya dolls into my desired doll.

Graves' medium brown complexion closely matches that of Rock Star Kenya's caramel brown coloring, so I used Rock Star instead of the deeper complexioned Fireside Chatting doll.  (Rock Star and Fireside Chatting can be seen here as the center doll and the one on the far right, respectively.)

What Was Done

Rock Star's up swept, super curly ponytail was given the appearance of an Afro by pulling some of the curls down to frame her face and just finger fluffing it into shape (I did not remove the rubber band).

Curly ponytail fluffed out into a curly Afro; dangle earrings added

Her original earrings were replaced with gold dangle earrings that I made using gold tone discs from a pair of 99 cents earrings.
Dangle earrings from beauty supply store were used to make playscale-size earrings; several more pairs can be made from these.


Rock Star was dressed in 2002 Barbie Fashion Avenue outfit B3366, which has a 1970s flare typical of what Christie Love would wear in her successful undercover policewoman attempts at solving crimes in the hour-long TV show.


Rock Star Kenya as Christie Love

I replaced the small handbag that came with the Barbie fashion with a larger one that was made using camel-colored craft foam. 


Christie Love's new shoulder bag replaces the tiny handbag.


The shoulder bag is piped on the sides with brown braiding cord.   I attached the handle using braiding cord after piercing holes in the ends of the strap and holes in the top sides of the bag.  The smaller bag is now stored in the shoulder bag.



While not the original manufactured Get Christie Love doll, Rock Star Kenya shadows the character quite well and has placed my desire to own the manufactured doll to rest at last.    

Kenya is a very suitable Christie Love.

By the way, I am not sure how long the sale lasts, but all toys priced above $10, including Fashion Madness Kenya dolls, are now 50% off at Family Dollar stores.  I will probably buy a replacement Rock Star, since my original is now Get Christie Love! 

dbg

Added 12/31/12:  More about the character, Get Christie Love, can be read here.  (Interestingly, this information is from a role playing game and anime webring.  Under Combat Skills for Christie, the writer included her large handbag used in melee attack.)


Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

Please visit and "Like" The Doll Blogs: When Dolls Speak I Listen

21 comments:

  1. Hello from Spain: definitely I have to go to the stores of America. You have very cheap and beautiful dolls. I really like your Christine. The large tote is ideal. keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marta: We do have a variety of dolls here. Many stores reduce the price of remaining stock the day after Christmas, which is a good day to buy dolls and other items that were at full price the day before Christmas.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Love your "Christie Love" Kenya doll. She looks outtasite - lol.

    P.S. My Malibu Christie was my "Christie Love."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, D7ana.

      Did you leave Malibu Christie's hair long and straight or did you change it for her Get Christie Love impersonation?

      dbg

      Delete
  3. LOVE the Kenya transformation in "Christie Love"!
    She's looking perfectly,as 70's HOT Girl!!
    I'm glad to see how nice are your dolls "interventions",Debbie!!
    Looking forward to see your new adventures in 2013!!
    Congrats,Friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jorge!

      Christie Love Kenya is looking 70's fly! Isn't she?

      I too look forward to your new doll adventures, doll styling and photography in 2013.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. She looks SUPER FLY! lol you did a great job transforming her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah sookie sookie now! You did Christie Love proud. Striking a pose for justice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job on the transformation! Those pants are perfect! I am not familiar with the show. I will have to look that one up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Small bag and big bag inside one another. Now IDK why but that and the making earrings part is awfully cute lol.

    Also, love the huge hair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Mustiwait, Muff, Vanessa, and Carmen.

    It was either a purse inside a purse or a gun inside the purse, Carmen. The real character was "strapped," but I decided to allow my version to solve crimes without the use of a firearm. The handmade earrings are less expensive to make than pay someone else to make and ship them to me. :-)

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful transformation! I especially like the earrings you made. Christie Love could also use her purse as a lethal weapon. In my father's favorite episode, she slung it along the floor and tripped up a crook who was trying to run away so our doesn't need a firearm to handle her business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that Get Christie Love! trivia, Paulette. I wonder if that episode was filmed after Graves became a Jehovah's Witness. I read that some aspects of the show were modified as a result of her religious beliefs.

      dbg

      Delete
  10. I love the transformation. I did purchase Kenya, the one with blue hat and blue sweater, for 50% OFF. Purchased her for the outfit :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Simsgrl,

      Thanks!

      I am glad you were able to get one of the Fashion Madness dolls for half price! I purchased the one you purchased at half price, too.

      Delete
  11. I remember the Get Christie Love doll! My parents thought it was odd I wanted her, but got her for me for X-mass one year. I couldn't have been more than 6. I was the only kid in town with a black "barbie" and I loved her. The one I had came with an attachment that hooked her leg to the spindle of the record player so she "danced" as the record went around! I still have hope that she'll turn up in a box at my mother's house someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stonemaven,

      The doll you have described sounds like Rosemary Rock Flower. You can see an image of her in another one of my posts here or copy and paste the following URL into your browser:

      http://blackdollcollecting.blogspot.com/2013/01/rosemary-rock-flowers.html

      dbg

      Delete
  12. Awesome doll! I actually had a "Christy Love" doll when I was a kid...and if I remember correctly, she even spoke (when you pulled a string). How I wish I still had her. She is the only doll from my childhood that I would love to find again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting SwissJFK. I don't recall the Get Christie Love doll being a talker, but that is possible. I hope you are able to replace your childhood doll. As you can tell by this post, I gave up trying to find the quite elusive doll.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. I think I was mistaken. I remember that I had my talking doll in the late 1960s, so I think it was the talking Christie doll. http://www.fashion-doll-guide.com/Christie-Doll.html
      Sorry.

      Delete
    3. I have Talking Christie by Mattel too. SwissJFK. It's great that you had her as a child.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!