Monday, September 15, 2014

Wigged Out Before and After

Manufactured and handmade wigs

The dolls in this post were manufactured with molded hair and came with an extra wig or two, or I elected to add a wig to change the doll's appearance.  In some cases, I made the wigs or purchased them from others. Before and after photos illustrate the different looks that can be achieved by changing a doll's hairstyle using wigs. 

Soldier Story action figure and Barbie Basics Denim Model 8 (before)

Above dolls, after being wigged
The Soldier Story guy wears a wig made by Paulette of Limbe Dolls.  Barbie wears a custom wig by Tabloach Productions.  The Tabloach wig* is designed to be worn over cut hair; however, my doll maintains her original short blonde hair underneath.  This is not the first time Model 8 had her look changed through the use of a wig.  The first time was in June 2011.  That transformation was illustrated here.

I have yet to debox Jazz Diva Barbie, another doll whose look can be transformed using the wigs Mattel included in her packaging.  She comes with a total of three, the one she wears over molded hair, and two extras.

Wooden dolls by Floyd Bell with carved and painted hair (before)

Dolls by Floyd Bell (after)
Floyd Bell utilized several tiny surface holes in the heads of the two dolls above along with black paint to create an illusion of hair.  For the doll in yellow, I made a skull cap and applied synthetic hair fibers to fashion the short curly wig she wears.  The wig the doll in plaid wears was purchased online.

Adele Makeda
Adele Makeda has molded hair and came with a black Afro wig.  Using the skull cap wig-making method, I made a salt and pepper (more salt than pepper) ponytail wig with bangs for her. Braiding hair was used to create the gray wig. 

So In Style Rocawear Darren and Glam Barbie (before)

Darren and Glam Barbie (after)
Over their original hair styles (molded and rooted, respectively) S.I.S. Darren and Glam Barbie wear wigs courtesy of Paulette of Limbe Dolls.  Darren's wig is black yarn twists; Barbie's is curly braids of yarn. 

Franklin Mint's Official White House Portrait Doll of Michelle Obama (before and after)
FLOTUS by Franklin mint now wears a black wig with bangs (which is worn over her original black bang-less wig -- of course I didn't cut her hair or any of the other dolls' hair shown thus far).

Robert Tonner's Jon (before and after)

Jon achieved her new look with a dreadlocks wig I made for her using the skull cap method** and application of individual dreadlocks that I made using Lock Twist braiding hair.   Her original hair is in a low-lying ponytail underneath the wig which completely overs the original hair.

1990s Teresa did experience a big chop before the braided wig was added.
Teresa's original brown rooted hair was quite tangled when the doll was found in my daughter's former bedroom among several of her other childhood dolls that I rescued.  I was forced to cut the hair before giving her a complete makeover using a Limbe Dolls braided wig. 

Basic Russell by Robert Tonner (before and after)
Basic Russell's original rooted hair is styled in a ponytail.  He still maintains the ponytail, but it is now underneath dreadlocks, a wig purchased online from another collector. 

All-Natural Lizette Spice by Wilde Imagination (before and after)

Underneath her original manufactured Afro wig, Lizette is bald.  She arrived with the Afro wig and a long straight wig.  In her "after" look, Lizette wears an Afro puff purchased from a local beauty supply store.  The Afro puff has a drawstring underneath which allows adjusting for a secure fit.  It now serves as her new and improved Afro. 

Have you rewigged any of your dolls or have you future plans to do so?

~*~*~*~*~

*See the Tabloach wig (in black) being styled on a doll's head here.
**Jon's wig-making process using the skull cap method seen here.

dbg

26 comments:

  1. All of your dolls look great in these before and after transformations! I have not taken my Jazz Diva Barbie out of her box, but her extra wigs were deboxed years ago. They have since been worn by Mammy, GI Janes, Dragon Jennifer, and Ken (as Madea). I will purchase or create some additional wigs eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roxanne.

      I remember reading your blog posts with the dolls you mentioned, specifically Mammy and Ken as Madea. Now I know the source of your wigs. I would have never known those were Jazz Diva wigs.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. The dolls look good in there new wigs. I particularly like the Michelle Obama wig on the doll the best. It makes her look more elegant/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MDW. I like the current wig on FLOTUS the best as well.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. The whole look of those wooden dolls is changed when the wigs are on - very impressive!

    And I love the wigs that Paulette made (especially the one on the Solider Story figure) - great to see such detail in that size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello jSarie,

      Sometimes an artist's interpretation is not always in line with what a collector desires or expects. For this reason, I reserve and utilize the right to make my dolls as pleasing in my eyesight as possible. The two wooden dolls needed hair and I like them much better with it.

      Paulette's wigs are wonderful! A lot of wig swapping with the ones she has made takes place here, but some dolls refuse to share.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. Interesting to see how the hair alters the face and the expression of your fashion dolls. Thanks for naming the wig makers, too. We'll know where to go for them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi D7ana,

      Wigs are a quick method of changing a doll's appearance; and as Paulette mentioned, they are an expensive way to achieve the new doll sensation.

      You're welcome re: the wig sources.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. I have made several wigs for my Liv dolls. I love to make wigs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Arria,

      I would love to see some of the wigs you have made. If there are online links, please share. Thanks for stopping by.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Here are the links to the wigs I've made so far. The locs are not a wig. I glued them directly to his head.

      http://dollobservers.com/doll-photos/new-boo-1?context=contributor&memberName=2kj4acj4asu5k
      http://dollobservers.com/doll-photos/angel-in-afro?context=contributor&memberName=2kj4acj4asu5k
      http://dollobservers.com/doll-photos/angel-in-twist-out?context=contributor&memberName=2kj4acj4asu5k
      http://dollobservers.com/doll-photos/2nd-wig?context=contributor&memberName=2kj4acj4asu5k
      http://dollobservers.com/doll-photos/my-favorite-wig?context=contributor&memberName=2kj4acj4asu5k
      http://dollobservers.com/doll-photos/mom-wig?context=contributor&memberName=2kj4acj4asu5k
      http://dollobservers.com/doll-photos/wig-making?context=contributor&memberName=2kj4acj4asu5k

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much for sharing the URLs to your wigs, Arria. Great job! I also like your custom LIV doll. The complexion is beautiful. Did you do the customization?

      dbg

      Delete
    4. Thank you for the compliment. Yes, I did paint her myself. She is my first attempt at customization. I'm still having trouble keeping the paint in her joints, but I am otherwise happy with the outcome.

      Delete
    5. You're welcome. I had that problem with my first repaints, too. Still haven't discovered a solution to prevent the paint from chipping at the joints.

      dbg

      Delete
  6. Glad your dolls are enjoying the LimbΓ© dolls wigs. A new wig can make you feel like you have a brand new doll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I had an opportunity to purchase and receive wigs from you while you were making them. My guys and gals certainly are enjoying them.

      dbg

      Delete
  7. Wigs are a wondrous thing for a quick transformation. I love all the Paulette wigs in this post, especially the one worn by Glam Barbie. But all the dolls look great with their new looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wigs certainly are wondrous in transforming the a doll's look. I love all the Paulette wigs, too.

      dbg

      Delete
  8. Wigs will be the way to create a different e versatile SHEILLA B. 2014/15!I
    We have not many OOAKs Wigs creators in Brasil,but I'm sure that is a great way to overcome the expensive Re-root art and keeps our dolls always able to resurging as new by our eyes.I can't belive how connected we are,Debbie!!
    Wigs transform this in a great sharing!!Congrats,Friend,Lovely Post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jorge,

      Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to seeing Sheilla B.s transformation with the use of wigs in 2014/15. I know she will look fabulous!

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Thank you,Debbie!!I'm doing some tests for now!!As soon as I see her ready for the shoots and later a posting... I come to invite you!! <3

      Delete
  9. I love this post! Wigs give them a total different look. I have wigged only a couple of dolls. I purchased a afro puff and glued it on the a couple of dolls hair to create afros for them. The only other doll that has just received a store bought wig is Bijou> I put the Liv afro wig on her.

    P.S. Thanks for sharing the info about nude Dasia. I was able to get one Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GG,

      I love that Afro wig. My Bijou has also worn it. One of my Alexis dolls wears it now.

      I am glad you were able to get a nude Dasia! If you find a shoe source for her, please let me know. I'd love for my Maya to have closed-toe shoes. I am not proficient in that area of shoe making area (yet).

      dbg

      Delete
  10. I love seeing the different wigs on dolls, there personalities change in a instant. Lizette is just cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brini,

      As you know, Lizette, is one of my favorite dolls (all versions that I own).

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!