Saturday, August 20, 2016

Melody Ellison at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History




Nine-year-old Melody is growing up in Detroit in the mid-1960s, a time of great energy, optimism, and change for the African American community. She is a singer and loves to perform in church, with her family, and in her community. Her stories are set against the backdrop of the Civil Rights movement... and the music scene, including the success and popularity of Motown Records and its artists.

Melody Ellison is American Girl’s new BeForever character, whose story reflects the changing face and history of the nation during the Civil Rights Era... [From the American Girl website, Introducing Melody]

While others eagerly wait to purchase the third, 18-inch African American doll in American Girl's BeForever collection (formerly known as the Historical collection), American Girl Rewards members, who chose to preorder the special Melody Ellison package, have been first to receive their dolls.  Public sales for Melody launch online at the American Girl website and in American Girl stores on August 25, 2016.

Mini Melody Ellison is 6-1/2 inches tall

Others have taken advantage of ordering the mini version of Melody Ellison, which includes the mini doll and her mini abridged book, No Ordinary Sound.  My mini Melody was purchased from Walmart.com for $10.09 (a savings of $14.90 off retail).

Beginning today, Saturday, August 20, 2016, at 8 p.m., Melody will go on sale in the museum store of the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History in Detroit, Michigan.   The sale will extend through September 4, 2016, while quantities last.

As announced in a Charles H. Wright Museum Facebook post, Melody was given a personal tour of her hometown museum by Mama Jatu in the museum's rotunda on the Ring of Genealogy.  The tour was captured on video, which may take a few seconds to load, depending on your device.    Yesterday at the Wright, Melody visited the museum's exhibit, In the Paint:  Art, Athletics & the Spirit of the Games.  What a lucky girl!

Encouraging people to visit Detroit, Terry Crawford, President of Motor City Doll Club (MCDC) made the following comments regarding Melody's availability at the museum and other upcoming events in the "Motor City":

The museum shop will be offering Melody until the supply runs out so she may be available later. I don't know how many they have in supply! Perhaps a trip to the museum for the new exhibit, "I See ME: Reflections in Black Dolls" (September 20, 2016-April 30, 2017)? Come the weekend of November 12th and you could also attend the Detroit Doll Show put on by MCDC member Sandy Epps, ALSO at the museum!!
Oh.....and since Melody is an aspiring singer, why not visit The Motown Museum. It's the actual location where Motown had its first offices and recorded its early stars like The Temptations, Supremes, Smokey Robinson, etc!

The following adorable photo is from American Girl on Instagram:
Additional details about Melody's availability at the Wright are outlined here.

dbg
Check out my eBay listings here.

21 comments:

  1. I really wish you would stay out of my wallet. LOL! She's adorable. I didn't actually order her, yet, because I want free shipping and that means spending $50. I just gave Walmart money yesterday. Now that I have a car payment and increased insurance payment, I have to think twice about purchases. Thanks for bringing her to my attention. I'm going back to see how much shipping is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Vanessa. Sometimes I wish I would stay out my own wallet. Shipping for me was only $4, I think, the first time I ordered Mini Melody. After she arrived, I thought she would be a nice gift and regretted not having ordered two. I thought about other things I needed (not wanted) from Walmart that I buy in the store, printer ink being one, which with the second Melody totaled right at $50. So I reordered. :-). The things we do for dolls and to save on shipping.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Melody has one of the most interesting backstories ever for an American Girl and I love her style.
    I got a Mini American Girl to see if they would fit well in a playscale collection (they do) so I'm definitely going to get one but the shipping to Canada is now at least 16$ even for the tiniest items so I shudder to think what it will be for a doll in her box. I hope I can find her in person instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shipping is rather steep,to Canada. Imhooe you are able to find Mini Melody locally.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Maricha,

    I just browsed Walmart.ca for Melody. She is not there but they do have the mini My Life As dolls on their website.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only is she cute but she still looks different than the other AG dolls with the same mold. And you can't beat the Walmart price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody has her own personality apart from other dolls who share the same head sculpt. The price of the mini at Walmart can't be beat.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing that the mini doll is at Walmart at such a discount - I was *this* close to paying almost full price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jSarie,

      It does my heart good yo know this post saved you and others money on Mini Melody. Enjoy her!

      dbg

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the heads up! I had a Walmart gift card with some balance left, so I went ahead and ordered her as well. She's so cute and I know I can't afford the 18 in version at this point, but I am so happy to add her to my mini collection. You can't beat the price! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Farrah Lily! Even with shipping, Walmart.com's price for Mini Melody is lower than retail.

      dbg

      Delete
  7. She is beautiful! When I saw her picture on your blog, I was wondering how you received her so quick. That was great that you were able to preorder her. I plan to get her when she comes out as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't own the 18-inch doll yet, GG. I wasn't interested in paying $200 for the doll and the extras AG was offering with the preorder. I only want the doll and her book. Right now, I only own the mini version.

      dbg

      Delete
  8. Melody is the first AG doll I am really interested in. The mini version is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's the first modern dark-skinned AG with a positive backstory, which makes her extra special. Via Facebook Live, I had an opportunity to view a portion of the release event held Saturday evening (August 20, 2016) at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History. It was a fun, first class event!

      dbg

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on getting her mini version and saying nice things about "The D". I hope to own some version of her too, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Brini. Grab the mini from Walmart before they sell out. Can't beat that price.

      dbg

      Delete
  10. I preordered the full Melody from AG (she was offered as an AG Rewards situation) and got her on the 14th. She's such a beautiful doll! I've gotten all three black historical girls from AG and created a 60s doll of my own (who I've had since 2008). I have a very black-leaning AG collection, in part because I deliberately keep my collection balanced that way.

    I might order the mini from WalMart later on, but right now my plans are to get all her outfits (I saved money starting from the day I heard AG was coming out with a black doll) and her player piano on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nethilia,

      Congratulations on being one of the lucky ones to get Melody early. It sounds like you have quite a nice AG collection and with the extras you plan to purchase for Melody, it will continue to get nicer. Lucky you!

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!