Friday, March 30, 2018

Brains and Beauty Malia Review

Brains and Beauty Dolls Malia

Recall this guest post where the creator of Brains and Beauty Dolls, Niya Dorsey, introduced the 18-inch doll, Malia, that speaks positive affirmations of empowerment.  After a long anticipatory wait, the dolls have been produced and shipped to those who helped fund the Brains and Beauty Dolls Kickstarter campaign.

Before removing Malia from the box, the beautifully designed box was photographed:

The side panel contains three affirmations:
Believe in yourself.
Empower one another.
Achieve all your goals in style.
Malia is illustrated on the back of the box with a conversation bubble above that reads:
I am beautiful inside and out.  I am a leader and a motivator.  I love fashion.  I want to be a CEO of my own company and a fashion model.


Malia, still attached to the box liner in this photo, is eager to be released.

Undressed for body exam

To get a full assessment of the body construct and quality, Malia was undressed.  The vinyl is of high quality and the doll is quite sturdy.  The mid area of the body is cloth.  The voice box is located in the cloth area and is accessible in the middle of the doll's back.

Malia's voice box is housed in a small compartment in her back which zips closed.

This is a closer look at the voice box area.  Because my doll was one of the first 100 dolls purchased, she bears the creator's signature, located on the right in the above photograph.

The square voice box is shown in these two photos immediately above and below.  Before the doll can talk, the white tab in the voice box needs removing as shown next.  If the voice box is lying flat inside the compartment when the doll arrives, avoid removing it.  Because the compartment is so tiny, if the voice box is removed, it is difficult to reinsert.  Just remove the white tab.

After the white tab is removed from the voice box (by simply pulling it out), with the voice box positioned inside the cavity correctly and the back zipped closed, pressing the stomach and/or back or both will activate Malia's voice.


Malia is casually dressed in a white dress with a pink heart in the center of the bodice.  The skirt of the dress has pink polka dots.  She wears a light blue brushed denim jacket that has three-quarter length cuffed sleeves.  A pair of chestnut faux suede UGG-style boots complete her fashion.

The back of Malia's boots contain the Brains and Beauty logo.

Malia's dress is cute enough to be worn without the jacket, as illustrated here.  


Malia has pierced ears.  Upon arrival, her pearl stud earrings, with the backs in place, were in her ears.   I removed the backs and reinserted the posts into her ears (with the earrings in the lobes, the backs are not able to be placed behind the posts because Malia does not have a full earlobe).  Caution:  The earrings might fall out easily; therefore, parents of small children should heed the warning on the front of the box shown below:

The warning reads:  Choking Hazard
Small parts.  Not for children under 3 years.  (The earrings are the small parts.)





Malia's fingernails and toenails are nicely manicured and pedicured.


I did not do a physical body comparison between Malia and an American Girl doll.  However, AG Julie's casual 1970s-inspired fashion and shoes fit Malia as though they were made for her.  It's safe to assume that she can wear other clothing made for American Girl dolls.

Malia has a very sweet face.  Her brown eyes are stationary.  Her human hair wig is thick with nice coily curls. It only requires finger combing. Except for the wig being farther down on her forehead, I cannot see the difference between the production doll's appearance and the photos I viewed of the prototype.  I am pleased with the quality of the wig, the clothing, and the doll's overall sturdiness.  The medium brown color of the vinyl is beautiful.  The voice box compartment is small, which makes it difficult to reinsert the voice box, if removed.  Removal of the voice box should not be required.   If the doll is owned by a child, parents might need to assist with removing the voice box tab and zipping the back closed to ensure the voice box remains properly positioned.  The earring backs should be removed as they serve no purpose.  If owned by a small child, the earrings should be permanently removed.

Overall Assessment:  Malia was made to inspire girls to "embrace their uniqueness, individual beauty, intelligence, culture, and leadership ability."  The doll's empowering phrases will certainly do that for girls.  I love the doll and support the company's goal of empowering girls, encouraging them to dream big and to know their worth through doll play.

Learn more about Malia from the Brains and Beauty Dolls website.


dbg
Thank you for reading. Was this post helpful?
Follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black
View the Doll Events page for updates. Check out my eBay listings here.

9 comments:

  1. Very thorough review and I agree with it 100%. She's a beautiful high quality doll that is already a favorite among my collection of dolls. I received the autographed doll also and she does fit American Girl doll clothes perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you have Malia MomofJAM&JEM and that you agree with my review. I really like her and honestly her empowering phrases give me a boost of confidence, too.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Hello Debbie,
    I just want to let you know that I have received my Malia. I bought her for Brains and Beauty Dolls on eBay. I am planning on changing her eyes from plastic to glass and having her try different wigs. She is a nice addition to my dolls family.
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on receiving Malia. The glass eyes will certainly add to her realism. Are you going to change the eyes yourself? I'd love to see pictures of the change if that is possible. Thank you for letting me know she arrived.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. Hello Debbie,
      It is my third time changing the eyes of a doll. I didn't document the entire process since I was in a hurry to see the finish result. But you can still see the photos of Malia before and after her 'surgery' on my blog 'Malia's new eyes' is the title of the post. There is even a link to the first time I changed the eyes of a doll (I documented the process).
      Have a lovely day!
      Arlette

      Delete
    3. I will find your blog and read your post about the eye change. (I didn't know you had begun blogging again. I would have been following you.) :-)

      dbg

      Delete
    4. You did a wonderful job with the eye change on both dolls. I agree that Malia's wig is down too far on her forehead. I tugged at it when she arrived to see how well it was attached because I considered moving it back. I think I will attempt to do that once again for her and her sister Khari. I want to see more of their lovely faces, too.

      dbg

      Delete
    5. Thank you so much. When removing Malia's and Khari's wigs, don't rush it. Take your time. Use the spoon to help you. Pull gently on the wig cap, not on the hair. And you will be fine and be able to reuse the wigs.

      Delete
    6. You're welcome! Thank you for the spoon tip!

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!