Friday, December 28, 2018

Forever First Lady Michelle Obama Boomark


After purchasing Becoming by Michelle Obama as a Christmas gift for a friend and needing to add additional items to Friend's gift package, I asked doll artist, Karen Oyekanmi if it would be possible (at a very late notice, mind you) to make a  doll bookmark in my Forever First Lady's likeness.  Karen has made other doll bookmarks that I have purchased for myself and as gifts.  So, I thought it would be wonderful to include one made in Mrs. Obama's likeness in my friend's gift package.  Karen was able to honor this request and have the bookmark mailed in time for me to include it in the package that I needed to ship for arrival prior to Christmas.


Selected photo choices

Initially, I submitted the photo on the left to Karen to use in the creation of the bookmark.  Later the same day, after deciding it might be easier and quicker to create a closed-smile likeness, I submitted the photo on the right.  I told Karen I would leave it up to her as to which image she could recreate the quickest.


Preview photo prior to mailing the bookmark to me

Karen replicated Mrs. Obama's image as close as possible including the one-shoulder blue dress she wore in the closed-mouth photo.  She emailed the above preview photo prior to adding the final touches and mailing.

Portrait of Forever First Lady Michelle Obama bookmark is shown inside my first edition, first printing copy of Becoming (I had already wrapped my friend's book.)

The portrait doll bookmark is 12-1/2 inches tall, made of cloth with synthetic hair and painted facial features.  The head is slightly stuffed.

A head-shot close-up was taken with the bookmark leaning against the title page of the book.

In the photo of Mrs. Obama in the blue dress, she wears triangular shaped earrings.  As shown in the head-shot photo above, the bookmark has Christmas-tree-shaped earrings that are embellished with blue sequins.


The feet point to one side, making it easy for the bookmark to lie between the pages of a book.
The blue pumps are painted on and have a blue gem at each toe.



Upon receiving the bookmark, I was pleasantly surprised to discover a mini version of Mrs. Obama's New York Times best-selling memoir, Becoming, attached to the hands!

Before wrapping the bookmark with Christmas paper and mailing it to my friend, I took the following additional photographs to add to my documentation of this one-of-a-kind bookmark of Michelle Obama.

This head-shot photo was taken with the bookmark lying flat.
This photo provides a closer look at the memoir and mock two-piece, one-shoulder dress.
Full view from the back

Close-up from the back illustrates the hand-applied synthetic wig.
As always, Karen did a fabulous job creating this portrait doll bookmark of my Forever First Lady Michelle Obama.

dbg
__________

Thank you for following, commenting, and sharing using the share button below.

Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black
View the Doll Events page for upcoming doll shows. Check out my eBay listings here.
Thank you for your continued support

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful gift. I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute doll! I have the audio book and am listening to it! We will have to talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ms. Leo. I have the audio version, too. Thanks loved listening to Michelle's narration.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. The book mark is adorable! The book is awesome. I love me some Obama's! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, GG. I enjoyed Becoming and I love the Obamas, too!

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!