Saturday, December 21, 2019

Painted Cloth Doll by Jude Kappron


Beatrice, a painted cloth doll by Jude Kappron appears to be in deep thought about an expectation.

 Beatrice is a 19-inch painted cloth doll with sculpted facial features and sculpted ears.  The artist uses a papier-mache process to sculpt the features.



She wears a sheer white dress with pink ribbon accents at the bodice.  Underneath the dress is a white slip and white pantaloons.

Beatrice's sculpted ears can be seen in this photo and later in another.

I love her textured hair and multiple braids.

This photo illustrates the way portions of the hair were braided by the artist and accented with dark pink ribbons.

The wig has a natural texture and is styled the way many young girls wore their hair in the 1950s and 1960s except the braided sections were more uniform as illustrated in this photo.

The artist's signature and the year the doll was made are on Beatrice's back.

Beatrice's back is signed and dated by the artist.

These are the shoes Bea arrived wearing; one is missing a button

She originally wore vintage, oversized child-size pink leather Mary-Jane-style shoes.  One of the shoes is missing a button on the top front.

Temporary replacement shoes
Because of the ill fit and the missing button, I swapped the original shoes for a more modern pair of pink pleather shoes.  (Oh no! not pleather!)  I do plan to find another vintage pair that provides the same fit as these replacement shoes.

Now with pierced ears
I thought she'd appreciate having pierced ears, so with pink quilting pins that serve as stud earrings, I pierced Beatrice's ears.

Beatrice likes her stud earrings and the better fit of these shoes.

I really love her innocent-looking facial expression and original vintage theme, which is why I will find different, real leather shoes or optionally replace the missing button on the original shoe or replace both buttons with buttons I have on hand.  (I do not have a matching button on hand like the one on the other shoe; all my buttons have four holes instead of two.)

**********

Jude sells dolls on Ruby Lane in her Artistic Differences Shop where, at the time of this post, a similar doll is currently listed.

dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for following, commenting, and sharing using the share button below.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

8 comments:

  1. Little Bea sure has a sweet face. About the shoes, you might find some real leather vintage shoes on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment on Bea and for Etsy as a shoe source. I've checked my local thrift store and will continue to check there as well.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Debby what is your biggest consumer dream? if i would ask santa this christmas i would ask for the Taranee doll from W.I.T.CH. and Alex doll from totally spies cause both are hard to find in the box, and vintage black Susi dolls are really hard to find too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than owning an authentic Leo Moss doll, I really have no actual doll wishes. I'd love to be able to display every doll I own where I could actually see them all. That would require a tremendous amount of space and technology.

      Are you referring to the black version of Susie Sad eyes? I have two. The black version is named Soul Sister.

      Here's wishing all your doll dreams become a reality,

      dbg

      Delete
    2. No i mean Susi the brazilian Tammy doll it was made only 3 black dolls in the 70s: http://bonecasusimuseuvirtual.blogspot.com/2019/08/bonecas-susi-negra-e-morenas.html

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the clarification on which Susi you were referring to, Nicholas. I'd love to own her, too, along with Nancy by Bella.

      dbg

      Delete
  3. This doll is so pretty. She reminds me a lot of my former next door neighbor who had the same texture of hair and wore it in the same style. It is amazing that this is a painted face with a little bit of sculpting. She has quite a bit of personality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, April! I love the realism Jude was able to create. One foot is turned out to the side like a shy child might do when standing. This doll actually reminds me of someone I know, too.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!