Monday, December 28, 2020

Waldorf Doll Fraud



On September 15, 2020, I was enticed by a Facebook ad placed by Happykomi.com (a.k.a. Kimiss, a.k.a. Langruian Electronics Commerce Co. Ltd.) for a Black Waldorf Doll that was supposed to include several different clothes.  

Minus the clothes that appeared in the ad, this is what I expected to receive.

This is what I received -- sorry about the poor quality photo, but I was so upset and hurriedly took the photo to share with the scammer.

What I received is shown above. A plush white doll and an extra piece of clothing that probably won't fit it. It arrived balled up in a plastic envelope with an Inglewood, California return address.

I immediately contacted the fraudulent company through their email address (having previously written them through their website, Happykomi.com, after having reservations about the order and receiving a reply from that email address. I informed them of their error and my desire for the correct item or a refund. 

I received an initial email reply offering a 10% refund, which I refused. Several subsequent emails followed with their last email offer on October 22, 2020, being a 50% refund. I initially ignored that email, hoping Paypal would side in my favor.

During the time I communicated back and forth with the scammer, I had already contacted Paypal to open a case. Paypal, taking their usual long time to investigate, on 10/21/2020 wrote the following:

To continue with this investigation, a report must be filed with a law enforcement agency or government organization. You may choose to contact your local law enforcement agency (such as your local police or sheriff's department) or you may choose to file a report with any other governmental agency of your choice. 

I filed a complaint with the Internet Crime Center and submitted a copy of the complaint to Paypal. Their investigation continued.

On October 30, 2020, Paypal informed me that Langruian Electronics Commerce Co. Ltd. had agreed to refund my money if I returned the item (at my expense) to their China address. Really? It would cost me over $35 to return the dollar-store-valued junk doll. The shipping cost would be a few cents less than the potential refund I would receive. I wrote Paypal the following note:

Per your request for me to return the incorrect item I received from Langruian Electronic Commerce Co. Ltd., it would cost more to ship the incorrect item (a plush toy worth about one dollar) to the China address than the refund I would potentially receive. Langruian Electronic Commerce Co. Ltd. (Langruian) is at fault because they advertised a product and did an intentional bait and switch.

They know it would cost more to return an item to China than the refund and I am sure they are laughing at you for helping them complete the scam and at me and countless others for falling for their scam. Provided that the return address on the package is not also fake, I am willing to return the junk item to the return U.S. address printed on the package I received from Langruian. The U.S. return address on the package containing the junk item I received is copied below:

Shipping Department

Dept. CA

10722 South La Cienega Blvd.

Inglewood, CA 90304

For your information, in addition to reporting this matter to the Internet Crime Complaint Center, it has been reported to the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission. All additional reports include your decision to side with the scamming company, Langruian. I have also shared the incident with social media contacts to inform them that Paypal and Facebook are helping a China-based company defraud customers. I have urged others on Facebook not to buy from Langruian, a.k.a. Happykomi.com, a.k.a. Kimiss and similar companies that others have been warned about. See the attached screen snapshot that was posted on the Waldorf Doll Shop Facebook page* (where Happykomi.com is listed as the second fraudulent company). Had I been aware of this warning before ordering from this scammer, it would have saved me $36.48 and the time it has taken me to request your help in obtaining a full refund.


On 11/06/2020, Paypal wrote the following with the email subject: Your Paypal Case... Denied

We received the case(s) you filed on October 14, 2020.

We have reviewed this transaction(s) and are denying your case(s). This decision was made because we did not receive valid proof or tracking that you returned the merchandise.

Before Paypal made their unfortunate decision to side with the company, I had already chalked this experience up as a loss, but I would have felt worse about the ordeal had I not at least tried to get a refund and report the scammer. I will donate the toy to the National Kidney Fund when they make another round in my neighborhood to pick up donatable items.

On the same day Paypal denied the claim, I replied to Happykomi's last email to me. Their email, my reply, and the communication that followed are captured in screenshots


Email sent on November 6, 2020, in reply to their October 22, 2020, email.



They replied to my refund request the following day and I replied to their reply.


Our final communication


The partial refund notification from Paypal was sent within an hour of my final communication with Happykomi/Kimiss/Langruian representative. 




__________

The day I placed the order for the Waldorf doll, several similar, if not identical, ads appeared on my Facebook timeline for the same Waldorf doll package, but these ads were from companies with different names. I am not sure if these ads were placed by the same company I placed my order through (Happykomi.com) or if there are several copycat scammers. According to the Waldorf Doll Shop Facebook warning (see the links below), there are several fraudulent companies like Happykomi.com that steal pictures of dolls and post ads at ridiculously low prices. So buyers please beware and know (like I already knew, but did not heed my own advice) if it sounds or looks too good to be true, it usually is. Also, think twice before purchasing anything based on a Facebook ad unless it is from a major, reputable company. With the goal of increasing revenue from ads, Facebook is obviously not concerned if ads are legitimate. 




If you have been a victim of an Internet sales scam, report it to the authorities listed below.




dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. To contact me, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. At least you received a doll. I got some lame “free gift” to thank me for my patience and still have not received a doll at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sorry your experience was worse than mine.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!