Thursday, February 25, 2021

Because She's Lovely, I Named Her Aisha



As soon as I saw Sarah Niemela's completed photos of the custom 8-inch clay doll that I commissioned her to make for me, I began singing Stevie Wonder's song, "Isn't She Lovely?" 

"Isn't She Lovely" is the 11th song on Stevie's Songs in the Key of  Life album released in 1976. It was written after the birth of his first child, a daughter named Aisha. I know exactly how he felt to see something beautiful that "you" created (or that you commissioned someone else to make). That is why I named this doll Aisha.

It was a joy to work with Sarah. She had recently completed and shared photos of another doll that inspired me to request mine, which was made to my specifications.

I wanted my doll's complexion a little more brown than the other doll's. I liked the two Afro puffs the other doll had and wanted to keep those. Instead of a blouse and skirt, I wanted my doll dressed in an African-print dress.  

Expressing my desire for a dress to Sarah is when I discovered that the other doll's entire costume was made from clay! I was very impressed. 

Lovely pleated dress trimmed at the bodice and hem in African print


Sarah asked me to provide examples of the style of dress I wanted. I searched the Internet and found a cute little girl's dress and shared the above photo with Sarah. She replicated it quite well. 

My final request was for the doll to hold a doll and Sarah came through with that request, too. 

Enough of my excitement about the makings of my Aisha. Below are several pictures I took of the doll after she arrived.

Aisha, her doll, her dress, and shoes are made from clay.

She has such a precious face.

She has a rope headband with clay flower petals attached.



So-so beautiful!

Dolly's hair is accented with multiple tiny beads.



A white strip of clay is attached to the back of the doll's dress that bears Sarah's signature and the 2021 copyright.


Isn't she lovely? Isn't she wonderful? Isn't she precious? Less than a few weeks old (Sarah works very fast!) The doll was completed within a few days. I would have received Aisha sooner, but Sarah and I both agreed for her to delay shipping until the arctic weather I was experiencing in Texas subsided. That plan worked out well. The doll was mailed on a Friday and I received it the following Tuesday.

Am I happy? No. I am thrilled!

Sarah sent one of her beautiful doll cards to thank me for the purchase. The front of the card is shown next.
This thank you card from Sarah Niemela features two of her beautiful life-size dolls.

 
Aisha fits in well with similar dolls her size that range between 7-1/2 to 8 inches tall as illustrated in the next two pictures. 
She stands out among other similar-sized dolls that are displayed underneath a globe, the base of which is wooden, swivels, and has several spaces to display dolls on doll stands.

Here is another view of Aisha and her friends.

I love her! If you desire, listen to Stevie Wonder sing the song he wrote for "my doll" before she was even a thought. :-) 


dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. To contact me, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!