Thursday, May 25, 2023

Birthday 2023 Doll Gifts

These are some of my 2023 beautifully wrapped birthday presents.

The first doll gift received and opened on my birthday was Rainbow High Olivia Woods sent by Facebook, doll friend, and doll-group member, Telisa Spain. Among other dolls, Telisa is an RH enthusiast.

Rainbow High Olivia Woods


This close-up of Olivia Woods illustrates her green hair, green eyes, and the jacket and top of the stylish cameo-green fashion she wears. One great feature of this doll line is the details given to the clothing and accessories. Their articulation is another great feature.

The back of Olivia Woods's box illustrates another character from Rainbow High Series 5, Victoria Whitman.

Read more about Olivia here.

Doll Gifts from Debra R:


Debra's gifts were enclosed in this huge shipping box that I know weighed over 10 pounds. I waited a day after my birthday to open the box.


Debra always uses the prettiest gift wrapping paper and packs everything so well. The paper was so pretty that I almost hated to tear it off the packages, but of course, I did.

In addition to dolls, Debra sent several more gifts, but this post only includes the dolls that were in the package. I had actually contemplated at different times to buy all the dolls she sent except one.

I opened the wrapped packages that appeared to contain dolls first. 

Imagine my surprise when I opened the 55th Anniversary Christie! I was on the phone with Debra as I opened these gifts and I asked her "How did you know I didn't have it?" She replied, "I didn't. I took a guess."
 
55th Anniversary Christie uses the Simone head sculpt, which was first used on Looks Model 10 Barbie.

Debra knows my pet peeve about dolls with pink lips and said, "You can always change the lip color." I said, "But her lips are not pink. They are more of a coral color." I absolutely will not change the lip color. In fact, this doll will not be removed from the box. 

The back of the box illustrates the 55th-anniversary doll and the 1968 original Christie.

The back of Christie's box reads: In 1968 Christie made her debut as one of Barbie doll's best friends. This anniversary tribute of Christie is a modern take on one of her classic beach looks from the 1960s. Ready for a glamorous poolside soiree, Christie doll wears a bright orange mini dress under a sheer overdress with a bold swirling mod print. Strappy orange sandals and chunky earrings complement the dramatic high-low look. Her coral-hued makeup is a nod [the original fashion doll.] (The word "to" is left out of the previous sentence.) Celebrating 55 years of friendship and fashion, Christie remains a timeless classic.

Debra and I discussed how much we both love the Mod-era dolls. I personally wish Mattel would reproduce Brad. Even though I own the original Brad, I would purchase the reproduction, too.

Back to my package opening, the next wrapped gift I opened was another doll that I had planned to buy. It was not available to preorder at the time I purchased the other dolls from this Black-owned company.

This is Naturalistas Influencer Grace in a deluxe set that includes the doll, a cell phone, a laptop, two wigs, sunglasses, a ring light and stand, and her high-heel shoes, which are attached to the box liner.

Grace wears a two-piece Naturalistas logo'd pink crop top and matching pants. She also wears a bright pink crossbody purse.

Tan high-heel shoes and a cell phone are attached to the box liner.


Grace, her bio, and information about the creator of this doll line are included on the back of the box.

Grace's bio is copied below.

I'm Grace
Grace, a D.C. native, is a popular Natural Hair influencer and Protective Style Enthusiast.

With a degree in journalism, Grace started her career in the newsroom where she was often required to straighten her hair. In her spare time, Grace learned to install protective styles to keep her natural hair safe from heat damage. Grace now runs a successful tube channel, teaching her followers how to properly care for their hair.

Grace's motto: Natural hair is professional."
Hairstyle: "Pixie Cut", "Knotless Braids", and "Silk Press Install."
Hair type: 4B

DeeDee Wright-Ward's Naturalistas doll line "is a sleek line of contemporary natural hair fashion dolls, created to uplift and celebrate children with coily, curly, and naturally textured hair" (as described on the lower half of the back of the box).

Debra also didn't know that I wanted Grace. "How did you know," I asked, "I didn't," she replied.

Her good guesses continued with the next doll.

Barbie Looks Model #14 had been another one of my doll-purchase considerations that I did not follow through with.

This lovely doll uses the Elle head sculpt that Mattel first used for Barbie Looks Model #2.

Model #14 has dark brown hair with auburn highlights styled in an Afro puff, uses the Elle head sculpt, and is on a  regular articulated Barbie body. The first Elle uses a Curvy Barbie body. 

Model #14 is included on the back of the box with the other Looks dolls in this series—Models #13, #15, #16, #17, and #18.

The last and final doll that Debra sent is the only doll in the package that I had not planned to buy, but that is only because I already own it.

I believe Fab Fringe Fashionista #33 Barbie is the first fashionista with this complexion to use the Tall Barbie body. I received my first one (a doll that has enjoyed several redresses) as a birthday gift from my son in 2016. Debra said she took a chance on giving me Fab Fringe after finding two for a price she could not refuse.


My first Fab Fringe Fashionista #33 poses with the one I just received from Debra.

My first Fab Fringe is enjoying the black midi-length coat that I received from Shasarignis where it was first modeled in this post

After not buying any dolls during the month of May, with the doll gifts I received from Telisa and Debra R., I hit the doll jackpot! Thank you, again, Telisa and Debra R. I love and appreciate all my gifts! 

©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Those are all fantastic! I can't decide if I like Christie or the Looks doll better. The Looks doll's outfit seems similar to Mod era too. I have the articles bookmarked, I just haven't read them yet to comment. I am sure I will enjoy them though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks #14 does have a Mod-era flavor. She is the only one that I've removed from the box so far. I really like her. I like the others too but they will remain boxed for now for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!