Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Black Dolls: Play, Resistance, Determination

Baby Nancy by Shindana Toys, Inc., 1968

Beginning in February 2023 off and on through April 2023, I was interviewed by Emerson College student, Gwendolyn Mintz, for the article/story, Black Dolls: Play, Resistance, Determination. The photo of Baby Nancy was used in the well-researched article, which can be read here.

©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your article and actually learned a lot from it. I had no idea black dolls were used a stress relievers for white children! That is just plain disgusting. I knew about the other negative things, but that was new. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle. I didn't write the article; I was one of the people the author, Gwendolyn Mintz, interviewed for it. Yes, it's true that black dolls were used as stress relievers by white children/people in the past and in some cases, they probably still are used this way. Someone wrote me a few years ago to ask if I'd ever heard of "beater babies." She explained that black dolls were given to white children to play with without regard to damage while their white dolls were handled with care. I documented what was written in a blog post that can be read near the end of the post here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My apologies, I noticed you were a contributor and not the author and I still messed up my comment! I enjoyed most of her article, obviously some of it was very disturbing but history is like that. We have a long way to go but at least we have come a long way too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!