Thursday, July 6, 2023

Leo-Moss-Type Dolls by Rubin Quintano

Leo-Moss-type dolls by Rubin Quintano, ca. 1990s


Recently, the opportunity presented itself for me to add a second doll by Rubin Quintano to my collection. Quintano made dolls fashioned after the doll-making style of late 19th-century dollmaker, Leo Moss. 

With the arrival of the new doll (shown above on the right), I discovered that I had not yet installed my larger Quintano Moss-type doll, Cecily, in DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum.  That installation was finally  published on 07/05/23 (follow the link at the end of this post to view). The newer doll's museum installation will be published on 07/07/23, but I wanted to publish this brief post to introduce both dolls to readers of this blog as well.

Cecily is my first doll by Rubin Quintano.


Cecily is a 22-inch doll by Rubin Quintano that I have owned for several years. This doll is featured in Myla Perkins' second Black Dolls book. I purchased Cecily from the doll's original owner. Cecily is also included in my four-part article on Leo Moss dolls that I published in an Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black article in 2016. (Follow the link to the article at the end of this post.)

My newly acquired Rubin Quintano doll is much smaller than my first one.

The new doll is only 15-1/2 inches tall and is unnamed. Before this doll entered my collection, it was also featured in my article on Leo Moss dolls. A glimpse of this doll can be seen in the following YouTube video, which was uploaded by Rachel Hoffman for Ruby Lane on September 29, 2018. The video covers Charm City Dolling Club's special black doll exhibition, Black Dolls: A Journey Through Time. The exhibition was part of the 2018 UFDC Region 11 Conference.



Cecily and the new girl (I might name her Cecile) display well together.

Use this link to access the Leo Moss article. (The Quintano dolls are included in part 3.)

Read Cecily's Virtual Black Doll Museum installation here.

©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. They make you want to pick them up and hug them! I like the little toes on your new girl. I am sure the bigger one has cute toes too, but I can't see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, their sad expressions do make you want to hug and console them. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Hello, I have just purchased one of these dolls & the back of its head is marked, R.Q. In red coloring. It’s a little girl & she’s about, 26” tall. She has the loop on top of her head with a hair bow that matches her sweet dress. She has the sad face with the molded? Tears & her mouth is frowning/ sad! ( Exactly like these/ your , photos). She has a rag body with her lower arms & lower legs as the same Very hard plastic? Material as her face. I do not know if she has a name? Nor what year she was made? Any information would be Highly appreciated! Thank you, Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. I can't help with your doll's name. What I know about Rubin Quintano and his Leo-Moss-type dolls is documented in part 3 of my 4-part article on Leo Moss dolls, which can be read here. I hope this helps.

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!