Tuesday, July 18, 2023

My Amazon Prime Purchases



I ordered only two dolls during Amazon Prime days: Barbie Fashionista 198 for $7.99 because of her throw-back to the '60s-'70s fashion and My First Barbie for $10.88 because she is the first of a kind.

Barbie Fashionista 198
Barbie Fashionista 198

This doll arrived in the new plastic zippered package Mattel is using for Barbies.  Easy to open, it only requires snipping off the plastic fastener that keeps the zipper closed. It can be used to store the doll. It's also good for storing clothing and accessories.

Out of the package, she strikes a pose.

This doll uses a non-articulated petite Barbie body. The right arm is bent at the elbow; the left arm is straight. She wears an orange top decorated with a single printed flower. The top has orange ribbon shoulder straps. Brightly colored flower-power fabric was used for the cropped pants. 

Close-up of her face.

Fashionista 198 uses the same head sculpt as Barbie Fashionista #80 Cheerful Check, which is the Daya face mold. She has brown painted eyes and black rooted texturized hair that is pulled back and held in place with a black rubber band. The loose ends form one huge Afro puff. Painted-on baby hair frames her face.

A profile photo shows the style of her white sandals

Barbie Fashionista #198 wears gold heart-shaped plastic earrings and white thick-soled sandals to cover her flat feet. 

My First Barbie

Designed for ages 3+, My First Barbie is 13.5 inches tall.

To unbox or not is a question some collectors ask themselves. My answer to this question for this doll is "not." Why? Because she has accessories and I'd have to store them. It will be easier to keep this doll in the box particularly since there is no cellophane or plastic that prevents seeing or touching the doll. 

In this closer view, the doll's accessories are all visible.

My First Barbie wears a lavender and purple dress that has a printed collar and necklaces, and two rows of ruffles at the hemline. A headband, a stuffed poodle wristlet, dark pink high-heel shoes, and a dark pink hair brush are attached to the box liner. 

Close-up of the face (she reminds me of the Gabby Douglas 
Barbie.)

My First Barbie has dark brown rooted hair with a side part. The hair appears to extend to her waist. Her big brown painted eyes have painted upper eyelashes. The eyes are outlined in brown. She has an open/closed smile and neutral lip color, which is appropriate for the target market. She also has a small sprinkling of freckles below both eyes.

I like the soft bendable vinyl Mattel used for My First Barbie. She also has click-bend elbows and knees for poseability. Made for young children, 3+, the back of the box illustrates and describes the doll's features:

  • Easy to dress—builds dexterity
  • Brush and style the hair—promotes personal care
  • Storytelling play—inspires imagination
  • Soft posable body—encourages nurturing

The back of the box illustrates the doll's features.


As shown above, an image of the four different My First Barbie dolls is on the back of the box along with a height comparison photo of an 11.5-inch Barbie and a My First barbie, which is 13.5 inches tall. 

My First Barbie and Barbie Fashionista #198 pose for size comparison.


My First Barbie towers over Barbie Fashionista #198 as illustrated in the final photo. Height-wise, the petite doll is 10.5 inches. My First Barbie is three inches taller.


©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell which one I like best because they are both awesome in their own way. The My First Barbie is cute, I love her face. The other Barbie is beautiful, I love her clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Michelle. It was the clothing on the smaller doll that won me over... that and the $7.99 price. I'm such a sucker for a doll sale.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!