Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Choklit Dolls

Choklit dolls Naledi and Lesedi are illustrated at the top of their boxes. Monusi's box top is without an illustration of the doll.

Choklit Dolls is an Australian-based manufacturer of 14-inch sturdy, all-vinyl dolls that are available in three brown skin tones: light (Monusi), medium (Naledi), and deep (Lesedi). I took advantage of their June 30% off sale and ordered all three dolls. The dolls arrived at the end of June.

Lesedi is photographed outside the box.

A graphic image of Lesedi is on the front of each doll's box. While, as indicated in the first picture, a sticker image of  Lesedi and Naledi is at the top of their individual boxes, Monusi's box is without a sticker image at the top.

The back of the box provides details about this doll line and shares the meaning of each doll's name.

Photos of the individual dolls and their name pronunciations and meanings are as follows:


Monusi has long thick, curly black-rooted hair as illustrated above. The texture is very soft, but it required extensive finger combing after the hairnet was removed.  

Lesedi (le-SEH-dee) is a Southern African name meaning ‘light’.

Lesedi has 4C textured hair that I styled in an Afro. The doll's hairnet packed the hair onto the head forcing me to literally pull several strands apart in different areas to shape it into a beautiful black Afro which complements her rich complexion.

Naledi (naa-LEH-diy) is southern African, meaning ‘brightest morning star’.

Naledi's below-the-knee-length hair is crimped. A portion of the top is pulled up into a side ponytail.

Each doll has brown stationary eyes with applied upper eyelashes and painted upper and lower eyelashes.

The clothing is very well made. Velcro is used for Monusi and Lesedi's dress closure in the back while the suspenders and sides of Naledi's pink-denim overall jumper skirt close with snaps.

Undressing and Redressing

The dolls wear painted-on undergarments in lavender, purple, and aqua. 


Next, each doll modeled fashions and shoes that are made for similar-size 14-inch dolls.

Naledi is dressed in a Glitter Girls complete ensemble including the shoes and hair bow. Each item fits perfectly.

Lesedi wears a fashion made for 14-inch American Girl Kendall-size dolls. The shoes are by Glitter Girls. The fit of this is "okay." The pants, in my opinion, could be longer and the top is a little big but not noticeably so. The Glitter Girls shoes fit perfectly.

Monusi also modeled a dress made for American Girl Kendall. The shoes are made for 14-inch dolls.


Here they are together in their redressed fashions.

I placed them back in their original clothes with one change. 

Do you notice the change I made?

Although the dress-shoe style of the pink shoes is not what I envision for Naledi to wear with her casual overall skirt, she and Monusi swapped shoes because the pink shoes and Monusi's peach skirt were not a good match in my opinion. I think the faux suede tan boots work best with Monusi's peach skirt. I have a pair of pink canvas sneakers that will probably fit Naledi that I will find and allow her to wear. In the meantime, the pink Mary Janes will do.

I am happy that I was able to acquire these dolls during the 30% off sale. I am generally pleased with the purchase even though I encountered a bit of a struggle to get two dolls' hair in shape. There is also something else about one of the dolls that I and the company can hopefully resolve to my satisfaction.

Their website: http://choklitdolls.com


©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page, bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page, and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. First of all, my favorite is Naledi! I love overalls of all kinds. The shoe swap makes sense, it almost looks like they put the wrong shoes on those two dolls. I also love her hair, but I think I like Monusi's hair best. I also think if they are going to put tennis shoes on Lesedi, she needs play clothes or at least shorts under her dress! Hard to do cartwheels and play jump rope with that. They are all cute though, I like the name too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get what you're saying about Lesedi's sneakers and her dress. I thought about changing the sneakers but when I thought about how today's little girls (as well as some adults) wear sneakers with everything, I decided that she's in vogue. Short leggings underneath would look cute.

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!