Thursday, December 7, 2023

Share Your Passion (From the 2004 Archives)



The above photo and the next several photos were taken in the central area of the Northeast Branch of the Arlington Public Library before my discussion and full exhibit of dolls dressed for Christmas commenced. 

A My Twinn doll (Kissy Kate), Rhonda by William Tung, a silicone-vinyl doll by Sheila Michael, and Jasmine by Waltraud Hanl remained in the central area of the library during the discussion.

Collectors of all types of objects gathered that day to "share their passion" with the community and neighboring communities. I was the only doll collector.

My ride-or-die executive-assistant husband was the photographer of the photos included in this post. Note that these photos are from 2004 taken with a digital camera. Because digital camera technology 20 years ago was not as advanced as it is today, photo clarity is compromised somewhat.


The Exhibit Board 

On the left side of a trifold exhibit board is a page from my 1st book on the Historical Significance of Black Dolls. A collage of black dolls underneath the heading, "The Face of Black Doll Collecting," is at the top of the center section of the display board. Underneath the collage, is a  photo of my first black doll.  A Daisy Kingdom doll stands on a table near the left side of the exhibit board.


The right side of the exhibit board illustrates before and after photos of some of the exhibit dolls that were redressed in Christmas attire. 


Exhibit and Discussion

The exhibit of dolls dressed or redressed for Christmas and the discussion took place in a program/conference room of the library. The next few photos were taken before the discussion took place.

The doll exhibit table

L-R in the front: A reborn Berenguer doll, another Jasmine by Waltraud Hanl, an Apple Valley kit doll, Jordan.
L-R in the back: 1970s unmarked boy with hand-rooted hair, a Daisy Kingdom doll, Velvet by Ideal, and a partially seen Berkeley My Twinn doll.

Some of the dolls from the picture immediately above are seen in addition to My Twinn Berkeley (next to the Apple Valley kit doll), a 1950s Ginny-type doll, a 1960s unmarked fashion doll, and my first black doll are seen on the far left in this photo. 

L-R: A Daisy Kingdom Doll (in the back on the far left),  Leila by Elisabeth Lindner (far left in the front) holds a Gotz doll; Lil Bitties Kayla by Lorna Miller Sands is in a gift bag to the right of Leila. First Generation African American by Lee Middleton Original Dolls is the center doll. Tiny Terri Lee, a reborn Berenguer doll holds a mini vinyl doll by Cititoy; Tiny Benji, Waiting for Santa by Lee Middleton Original Dolls, and standing in the back on the far right is a My Twinn boy that uses the Tasha head sculpt. 
 

I am included in the next photos of the exhibit table.




The following photos were taken during the discussion and Q&A session that followed. 

I am being introduced by the program coordinator.

My first black doll is shown and discussed.

 

After the discussion, I allowed some of the attendees to hold some of the dolls.

The librarian (I believe) thanked me for "sharing my passion."

Because I could sense her pleasant aura, during the discussion, I made constant eye contact with the lady in the multicolored dress and matching headscarf. In this photo, she is reaching for Jordan, an Apple Valley Kit doll.


 Everyone, especially the children, enjoyed the discussion and the Q&A that followed.

I enjoyed it too. 

©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!



4 comments:

  1. My favorite doll is the second Jasmine. The one with the two tone dress that ties at the shoulders. I LOVE her wispy baby hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one time I had four versions of Jasmine. They all have found new homes.

      Delete
  2. Rhonda is the doll with open mouth?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!