Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Queenish Black Dolls Showcase

Debbie Garrett, Quinnie Nichols, and Dr. Opal Lee a.k.a. "The Grandmother of Juneteenth."


I attended the third annual Queenish Black Dolls Showcase on February 24, 2024, in Lancaster, Texas. 

It had been a while since I was in a room of black dolls that were not my own and I loved it! Most of the showcased dolls are from the collection of Quinnie Nichols, show host and founder of Queenish Professional Women's Club. 

View a combined recording of my walk-through of the showcase below:



I stand with doll artist, Tiffani Dean as I hold dolls that "used to be" hers.

As indicated in the video, I met doll artist, Tiffani Dean. I purchased one doll from her and my daughter purchased two of Tiffani's art dolls for me. She signed and dated each doll.

This green-haired doll was recently named Ivy by Tiffani Dean's fans. Ivy is a very suitable name for her. Because emerald is my birthstone, Ivy came home with me.


Simone (the larger doll) and Rachel, the doll being held, caught my attention first because I love dolls with dolls. Unfortunately, the two were separately priced. Tiffani said she displayed them that way for the show. Sensing my disappointment that they were priced separately, my daughter said, "I'll buy them for you," and she did!

All three dolls will be installed in DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum soon. The installation will include better photos and their details. 

I am with Dr. Opal Lee at the Queenish Black Dolls Showcase on 2-24-24.

The height of my doll showcase experience was meeting "The Grandmother of Juneteenth," Dr. Opal Lee. I walked the doll room with her as she admired the beautiful black dolls, the likes of which she had never seen. 

Dr. Lee admires the dolls in the showcase as I and others look on.

I purchased an autographed copy of Dr. Lee's book, Juneteenth a Children's Story, which should be read to or by every child and adult; it provides a greater understanding of why Juneteenth is celebrated and why Dr. Lee's passionate work led to it becoming a national holiday, signed into legislation by President Joe Biden in 2021. 

The front and back covers of Dr. Lee's book, Juneteenth a Children's Story


Dr. Lee's autograph appears on the Acknowledgements page of her book.


Another vendor at the show was reborn artist Julie Ollison. Some of her reborn dolls are illustrated next. 

Reborn dolls by Julie Ollison



I was photographed holding a full-silicone doll that was so lifelike!


Several podcasts/interviews were made throughout the event. Some of these can be viewed below.




It was an overall very dollight-ful day. I wish more local shows that feature black dolls were held in my area.

©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. The reborn dolls are my favorite, but the art dolls are just amazing. Yay for awesome daughters too. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reborn was so realistic looking; if I collected reborns (or any baby dolls now), I would have considered purchasing. They require too much space. Yes, daughters are great; mine is exceptionally great. She's a ride or die for her parents/family.

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!