Thursday, February 29, 2024

Cinnamon and Cora

Cinnamon and Sasha Cora

From the collection of Marjorie Loring Gauley, Cinnamon and Sasha Cora #109 arrived by way of Karen Oyekanmi on February 22, 2024. Karen is the founder of the American Black Beauty Doll Artists (ABBDA).

ABBDA recently received over 100 dolls donated to their organization by Ms. Gauley. View a Facebook post here that captures the moments the dolls exchanged ownership. More of the donated dolls were posted here.

For the small role I played in connecting the two women (or reconnecting them), I was offered dolls from the collection before the donation was finalized. Because of the lack of space, I chose only four dolls, two initially and later these two. I wrote about the other two in this post.

The plan was for Marjorie to mail Cinnamon and Cora to me, but when Karen picked up the donated dolls, she volunteered to mail these two to me. They arrived safely and in the most pristine condition. 
Cinnamon




Released in 1973 by Ideal Toy Corp., Cinnamon wears custom-made lavender overalls with a lavender headscarf, an orange knit sweater, a matching shoulder bag with a chain strap, and her original orange shoes. A matching flower appliqué is on the front of the overalls and shoulder bag. 

Several years ago, Marjorie gifted me with a similar outfit for one of my Cinnamon dolls (seen here). With the most recent doll's arrival, I now own three Cinnamons, one of my favorite dolls in the grow-hair family. (A Tara doll, another one of my grow-hair family favorites was also in the lot of donated dolls.)

Sasha Cora #109


Sasha Cora #109

The beautiful ebony-complexioned Cora wears the Summer Dress from 1977. Her socks and shoes are replacements. According to page 75 of Sasha Dolls, the History, Cora was the last of four other dolls shown in the book to receive a dress made of this pink and white striped fabric. The book indicates this fabric was used for other Sasha dolls' dresses of different styles as far back as 1962. Cora will pair well with my original Cora, seen here wearing a brown and white check dress.

Thank you, Marjorie and Karen O., for the roles you played in increasing my collection with these two beautiful dolls from the 1970s. 

Thank you again, Majorie, for your generous gift of dolls to ABBDA. You are a blessing.

©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________


Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page, bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page, and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!


2 comments:

  1. Aw, the Cinnamon is so cute! I love that she has a purple version of that same outfit. Now two of your dolls look like they are twins or sisters. :) Cora is amazing. The Sasha dolls bothered me at first because they do look so solemn. But they grew on me. They are also much smaller than I realized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have "Cinnamon" twins now.

      Sasha Morgenthaler wanted to "to create human-like dolls with living expressions that would appeal to all children and awaken their true feelings. She was against the 'over-smiling' doll. She therefore played on the asymmetry of proportions to give her dolls realistic faces" and to allow them to stand and be posed without the need of a doll stand. Read more here.

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!