Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Chosen Two

Tevin and Ayana by Laura Tuzio-Ross, redressed for Christmas
Tevin and Ayana are babies made by renowned artist, Laura Tuzio-RossTevin, sold through Home Shopping Europe (HSE), arrived in 2005.  Not sold in the US, the artist graciously offered to purchase Tevin for me.  "I have to buy my own, too," she said, "I can get him for you," after learning of my intense desire to own Tevin.  (Boy was I ever a baby-doll enthusiast back then who went through great lengths to add the desired dolls to my collection.)  I immediately fell in love with Tevin after seeing his online images on the artist's website or those she shared with my doll group directly.  After seeing him in person, I loved him even more and still do.  He is the doll I am holding on the cover image of The Doll Blogs: When Dolls Speak, I Listen.

Ayana (whom I refer to as Tevin's sister) was offered by HSN in 2005.  I was not as pleased with her online appearance as I was Tevin's but ordered her immediately. I have not been able to develop the same bond with Ayana as I have with Tevin

Because they have been dressed for Christmas for several years (as illustrated in the first picture), Ayana and Tevin, are the first dolls I considered taking to my mother's house (per her request for two or three more).   Until this morning, I was not sure that I would take this pair to her because I thought my mother might see what I see in Ayana.  


This morning (while viewing pictures of other dolls that I have redressed for Christmas in the past) I stopped on this several years' old picture of Ayana and Tevin and realized they are definitely the chosen two.   I think my mother will agree that they both look adorable in these Christmas outfits.  Now the task at hand is to redress them in these stored outfits and find the time to locate (hopefully) red or green  children's chairs for them. 

Wish me luck.

dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

7 comments:

  1. Aww how cute! No I see why mom wants two or three more! I want these adorable babies with my decorations! I will supply my own chairs thank you LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, you are tooooooooo funny Chynadoll. How generous of you to supply your own chairs.

    I'm going out in about 30 minutes to look for chairs.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck getting these two back after Christmas, Debbie! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL @u Miladyblue. Mama can keep Ayana, but Tevin is coming back home with me.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I love them both. Laura is one of my favorite artists. I do think the 2nd picture shows them off better. CHAIRS? These are babies, they don't belong in chairs. You know I am a big baby person, too, so they have to be handled properly. Good luck getting Tevin back. He is a doll! I think overall they did a really good job reproducing them in vinyl. Sometimes they have problems with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dressing your baby dolls in holiday attire is a beautiful tradition. I don't even like baby dolls but these photos are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vanessa - Yes, Laura's doll artistry is phenomenal. It is difficult to capture the realism of OOAKs, but whomever created Tevin did a wonderful job. Ayana is just so-so. Their attempt to replicate baby fine hair with her sparse, glued-on hair failed. The lined lip coloring is over the top for a baby. I thought about re-rooting her hair, but the vinyl on her head is extremely firm. I'd be breaking felting needles left and right. I can find better use for my hands.

    Thanks Limbe Dolls. I continued the tradition of redressing last year, but far fewer dolls were redressed than in years past. I used to redress at least a dozen or more. This year that total will probably decrease even further to the these two for my mother and two for myself. I just don't have the decorating spirit anymore. Maybe it will return, but it's not here this year.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!