Thursday, November 22, 2012

Life and All That's In It!


Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take.

As a child this was my bedtime prayer.  I'd add, God bless Mama, Daddy (siblings by name) and me.  I'd throw in specialized thanks for things that occurred during the day, and of course, occasionally ask for something for myself or for someone else.  Sometimes it would be for household peace, particularly on weekends, but this prayer often went unanswered.  Most days of the week were uneventful, but I hated to see Fridays come.  They were filled with uncertainty.

Hallmark image

A few years back, one of my favorite writers collaborated with Hallmark's Mahogany division.  I loved reading, buying, and sharing electronic Mahogany greetings written by Maya Angelou.  One of my favorite thank you greetings written by her is:

I want to thank you, Lord, for life and all that’s in it. Thank you for the day and for the hour, and the minute. -- Maya Angelou



These two lines of prose cover everything I could ever give thanks for -- life and all that's in it -- what could possibly be omitted from that statement?  In spite of a few minor hurdles, trials, and tribulations in my early life, my blessings have been so great they are beyond measure!  My cup has truly run over with needs that are always met.  I have experienced a life filled with peace more often than not.  Yet I am stronger as a result of the tribulations.  They served to teach lessons of how not to be, what not to accept, things to avoid, etc.

So on this day that America has set aside as Thanksgiving, as-I-do-daily, I give thanks to God for life and all [the good] that's in it.  (That's what Maya left out -- the good.)  I thank Him for the day and for the hour, and the minute (and the ability to now love Fridays and every other day of the week I am blessed to live and give.) 

Happy Thanksgiving!

dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

Please visit and "Like" The Doll Blogs: When Dolls Speak I Listen

7 comments:

  1. Hello from Spain: have a Blessed Thanksgiving. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families and especially all those gorgeous dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that lovely sentiment. Hope you and yours had a great Thanksgiving day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GG, Marta, Brini, Muff, D7ana, Roxanne - Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I enjoyed a day with family and of course food. Right about now, I am all turkey'd out. I made turkey topped mini pizzas for my son last last using slices of Skinny bread but couldn't have forced myself to eat any if I tried.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!