Monday, August 26, 2013

More Thrift Store Finds




A return trip to the thrift store found the above pair still there.  I had seen these dolls packaged together for $2.99 the day I found Top Model Nikki.  The taller doll's articulated knees interested me, but because she was paired with the Bratz doll that I did not want, I left her there, hoping to return later and find her still there for 50% off.  No such luck for me; last week's price tag that qualified for 50% off was lavender.  I splurged and purchased the dolls for full price.  At the register, however, I made one final attempt at a reduced price.

Me:  "If I only want one of these, can the price be reduced?"  
Cashier:  "Noooooo."  
Me:   "Okay, I just thought I'd ask."  
Cashier: "It never hurts to ask."  

I agreed.  So both dolls came home with me for $2.99 + tax.

The larger doll is marked Chic Dolls, Made in China.  In November 2012, Paulette of Limbe Dolls introduced us to a boxed set of princess dolls sold at Wal-Mart during last Christmas season.  She recognized these to be Chic Boutique dolls.  

The one I found has the same caramel complexion that Paulette described.  My doll's hair is lighter.  As Paulette indicated, she could represent several ethnicities:  African American, Hispanic, or multiracial.  She has a twist and turn waist and jointed knees, which are quite wobbly.  


She will need a doll stand to hold a bent-knee position or something to support her back if she stands erect.
 
She will never sit here.  Her sitting position is quite awkward looking and lacks grace. 



She does have a pretty face and a fully rooted head of hair that was in need of brushing when I found her.






Girlfriend endured some extreme play, didn't she?.




Even though she looked clean, I wiped her off, brushed her locks, gave her a top braid, and found something to cover her nudity.


A Barbie Fashionistas dress found at Big Lots for $3 some time ago fits her well along with a pair of transparent lavender heels that were already on hand. 

The following photo of this doll with S.I.S. Marisa and Trichelle can be used for a complexion comparison.



No, I did not forget about the Bratz doll that I believe is Yasmin.  Initially, the plan was to discard her, but those big alien eyes convinced me to at least comb her hair and find something for her to wear.  

After her bath, Yasmin was given a side ponytail.  I added pink studs to her ears next.




The cowgirl boots were found first.  They are part of the original outfit worn by Rock Star Kenya.  The floral print lavender dress, which was way too big before I modified it, was originally worn by Swappin' Heads Artsy.  

After hemming the dress and closing the back Velcro, I created a flap-over pleat and tacked the side down.  The brown satin shoulder straps were next snugly sewn to the top of the dress in back creating a little bow in the process, which is illustrated next.  (Yasmin and I do not care that the dress is now sewn on and that the open seam of the cowgirl boots does not meet in the back.)


Jasmin is now all pulled together from head to toe (as shown above).  She poses once more with her thrift store Chic Dolls companion.





dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

Please visit and "Like" The Doll Blogs: When Dolls Speak I Listen

10 comments:

  1. Another brilliant rescue! Thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on both. You be working those hairstyles. Is that from years of doll play, or years of doing your daughters hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa!

      Probably years of doll play can account for any hair combing skills I have. When my daughter looks back at her childhood pictures, she often says, "You-could-not-comb-hair!" LOL!

      She wore a little Afro. People talked about me, saying she looked like a boy. I was not one to create a thousand itty bitty ponytails with barrettes on her head. Instead, I left it in a cute 'fro and put two tiny barrettes in front until she was about 6 months old when I began experimenting with styles, but no more than 4 sectioned off plaits, usually two on top and two on bottom. Looking back, the barrettes were probably dangerous -- she could have choked!

      dbg

      Delete
  3. They both cleaned up well. I have not been to the theft store in a long while. I miss it so (sigh). Great job on the hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GG. I need to be taking more to the thrift store than I buy.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. I really like how even though you did not want her at all, you still took the time and effort to give the Bratz a lovely makeover. That's dolly respect right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Muff. I have much respect for dolls, even if they are not the type I collect. I could never throw one away. Each one is salvageable in some way.

      The discard term I used regarding Yasmin meant I would return her to the thrift store (as she was) along with other non-doll items that I have gathered to donate.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. Pues quedaron muy bonitas, su cabello tomo volumen y forma, sientete satisfecha. Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias de nuevo Linda Ivette! Peinar el cabello fue muy divertido!

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!