Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Who Am I? The Netherlands Doll Find

I received the following inquiry with images seeking help identifying the doll head shown.  I could not identify the head and asked permission to share the images here. 

Dear Debbie Garrett,
I saw your website about your black doll collection. I am from The Netherlands and I bought the head of black doll on a market without a body. It’s made of paper [mache]. I looked for more information about this doll, but I can’t find anything. Do you [know] more about this doll? Can you can give information about this doll?

...find photos in the attachment.
Best regards,
[MT]
Vlaardingen
The Netherlands







If you know the identification of this mystery doll or can offer leads in this regard, please post that information in a comment.  Thanks in advance!

dbg

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. I work for an antique store and sometimes I have to look up things that come in. This looks like the head of a carnival doll. They were usually used as prizes in the early 1940's. They were most often made out of chalk or celluloid, this one sounds like celluloid and probably had a Caribbean style costume. The dolls today only sell for about 20 to 60 dollars for a fully in tact doll depending on the condition. They are in the same category with Black Kewpie dolls.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you! Your comments are appreciated!