Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Cheap Thrill from China

Fashion doll from China with Afro and articulated body

On Amazon and in actual photos taken by other collectors, I had seen dolls with this doll's head sculpt, huge Afro hairstyle, dressed in a black cropped blouse and ethnic-print skirt.  On Amazon, prices varied between four and six dollars.  I had also seen a doll with a different (not as pretty, in my opinion) head sculpt wearing the same fashion (with two skirt color choices like this one).  Seeing them was all I had done, until recently.

While shopping on Aliexpress with a gift card that had a few dollars remaining, I decided to take the plunge and order this doll wearing the red/green/orange/white-print skirt.

Within a couple of weeks, she arrived inside a clear plastic bag (as shown in the first photo) having been shipped in an unpadded plastic mailer!  Without any protective cushioning, I was shocked the doll survived the trip from China to the US, but she did.

Removed from the plastic baggie, the doll's face is as pretty as the online photos illustrated and as my next photo illustrates.

She has nicely textured, thick, and closely rooted hair made of soft fibers.  She has brown eyes and a smiling mouth with the suggestion of teeth.

Articulation is included underneath the breast area, which can slightly move up, down, left, or right.  The elbows, wrists, and knees are articulated.  Why pink shoes were paired with the dark-colored fashion remains a mystery.

The pink shoes were replaced with a pair of black high heels.  Like her body, her legs are quite thin.

Part of the white Velcro that closes the top is exposed and the waist of the skirt is too big.   

I trimmed the edges of exposed Velcro so less of it would be visible.  I temporarily tightened the fit of the skirt at the waist with a quilting pin.  Later, I will replace the white Velcro with black Velcro and position the new Velcro on the skirt so the waist fits the doll properly.



The original silver-painted plastic necklace and earrings were replaced, tossed actually.  She now wears goldtone drop earrings (which her hair covers) and goldtone hair jewelry for locs or braids that she wears as a choker and upper arm bracelet.  She still wears her original silver wrist bracelet.

China Doll (I guess that's what I will name her) poses in a close-up here.
China Doll and Fresh Dolls' Mia are about the same complexion; China Doll's face is slightly lighter but their bodies are the same color.

These two display well together.

For $5.03 with free shipping, China Doll provided as much of a new-doll cheap thrill as I expected.

dbg

Thank you for following this blog, for reading the posts, and for your comments. If you are not already a subscriber, go to the homepage. If the right sidebar is not visible, scroll to the bottom and click "desktop view," locate and click "subscribe to posts." Optionally, also subscribe to comments. There is also an email subscription box for those who would like to receive posts by email.

Follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black
View the Doll Events page for updates. Check out my eBay listings here.

14 comments:

  1. She is really cute. I really like her hair, the texture and the fullness of it. She has a beautiful smile.
    Thanks for allowing us to discover her.
    Arlette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like! Sometimes the cheapies are the best ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, often they are, the best onrs, imperfections and all. 😊

      Delete
  3. I have seen these dolls on Amazon and have wondered about the quality of them. Thanks for your review! Looks like a good purchase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Phyllis. They can be used as body donors, too. Some might have vinyl imperfections, however.

      dbg

      Delete
  4. Not a bad buy..... I'd like to get one, for that price...even the outfit would be worth it. Thanks you sharing, Debbie.
    Misha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think she might be a Barbie knock-off? Her face sculpt looks very Barbie-like to me, but I'm not very good at recognizing sculpts. She's a great buy, in any case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb. I don't think this is a knockoff Barbie face. The body is quite similar to the body used for the first Fashionista dolls, but I believe the Fashionista body is fuller.

      dbg

      Delete
  6. Congrats! I looked at her too. Maybe later. I love the print of the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ms. Leo. I like the print of the skirt, too. A blue print was the other choice. This one and the one you have are available on Amazon under the name Rambling fashion doll.

      dbg

      Delete
  7. Cute doll! Looks like a good buy for the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the skirt alone, which is made from a heavyweight fabric, is worth the cost of the doll.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!