Monday, September 14, 2020

I Am Collecting Masks, Too

It's just me, protecting myself before leaving home with one of Misha Yarbrough's masks.


There are so many talented people using their sewing skills to make cloth masks for those of us who are challenged in the area of sewing. Since this past March, I have been buying and faithfully wearing my masks (properly) when I am outside my home. With the most recent cloth-mask purchase from Marilyn Bloodworth was a special surprise mask. Because of that surprise, I decided it would be appropriate for me to share the masks from Marilyn as well as others I have purchased or received this year.

Misha's Masks

Cloth masks by Misha Yarbrough


Misha was the first person from whom I purchased cloth masks. I ordered several from her initially and then ordered some others later to give away. Some of the first ones I ordered from Misha are shown immediately above and I model one immediately below.

Modeling a mask made by Misha Yarbrough—hint: to prevent eyeglasses from fogging up, wear the mask under the glasses, not like I am wearing this one.

Beverly's Masks



Beverly Mouzone used beautiful African wax prints for the masks shown above. I model one of these next.

Isn't it beautiful?

Masks by Goldie Wilson

Intricately decorated, handmade masks by Goldie Wilson


Doll artist Goldie Wilson has made masks as well. I remember her telling me that she made masks for her neighbors. Several months later, I said, "Goldie, I want you to make me some masks." She laughed and asked me why. I told her because I needed some Goldie Wilson masks. Within a week to 10 days, I received the three masks shown above that are fit for a queen. When my husband saw them, he asked, "Where are my masks?" 

Goldie's face covers are so lovely that I took individual photos of them and modeled them as well.

Goldie hand beaded this mask and also added Swarovski crystals! My pictures do not capture the beautifully detailed, time-consuming work required to complete this mask.

This one by Goldie has hand beadwork and Swarovski crystals, too.


The two masks by Goldie shown above have an additional fabric lining with a label attached that reads, "Custom Made Especially for you by Goldie." The label is better illustrated next.


Close-up of Goldie's label.


For this pleated cloth mask, Goldie used the fabric from the Queen of Hearts doll's dress.
 This one reverses to black.

I modeled my Goldie masks below. Again, my photos (these were taken with my cell phone) do not do the masks justice. 




Plus-Size Masks by Marilyn Bloodworth

Masks (face covers) by Marilyn Bloodworth

After I saw Marilyn Bloodworth's Facebook Live video of her plus-size masks made from Kente-print fabrics, I knew these would work well for my bearded husband and son. I ordered the three shown above which arrived swiftly in individually sealed plastic packages.

Thanks to Marilyn, one of my dolls has a mask that matches my husband's.

In the package with the dark green face cover was a gift from Marilyn for one of my dolls. Wasn't that sweet?

To do a size comparison between Marilyn's plus-size masks and a regular-size mask, I took the following photo.

Marilyn's masks are huge and provide full facial coverage from above the nose to well under the chin.


I am modeling the mask I purchased for my husband which extends underneath my chin with room to spare.

Reema Afia by Makedaa Dolls models the surprise gift from Marilyn in this photo with me and again below.

Reema tried to wear the mask underneath her nose, but I told her wearing it that way does no one any good.

Marilyn's surprise gift fits Reema Afia perfectly.

The ear straps on Marilyn's face covers are cloth with a bead on each strap to adjust the fit. If you have a full face or if you have a beard, Marilyn's masks will be perfect. Her masks are also reversible. Mine reverse to the same fabric, but she makes others that reverse to a different fabric. 

Marilyn informed me that she also makes masks and accessories for children and shared the following photographs.

Marilyn's Masks and Accessories of Children



These are just a handful of my cloth face covers. I hope and pray for the day to come when we do not need to wear personal protection from this pandemic.

To contact Misha, Beverly, Goldie, or Marilyn to inquire about or to purchase masks/face covers, send them a message through their Facebook or email links below:


Please remain safe so we can all outlive this.

dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. To contact me, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments: