Tuesday, July 27, 2021

1971 Malibu Barbie, Christie, and PJ

Close-up photos of Mattel's reproduction of 1971 Sunset Malibu Barbie, Christie, and PJ 


I purchased the 1971 Malibu Barbie Giftset because an original NRFB Sunset Malibu Christie (in the red bathing suit) had been on my wish list for quite some time. I already own two original Malibu Christies from 1976 (in the yellow bathing suit). I used to own three, but one was sold several years ago. The secondary-market price of the original Sunset Malibu Christie (originally released in 1973) far exceeds what I desire to pay. I cannot express how thrilled I was upon discovering Mattel's plan to release the reproduction set. 

1968 Barbie Mod Friends Giftset is a reproduction of the original 1968 Christie, Barbie, and Stacey

For a fleeting moment, I thought I would wait to see if the 1971 reproduction set would be discounted like the 1968 Barbie Mod Friends set was in 2018 (see the above picture). By December 2018, it had been reduced from $80 to $40. My reasoning that the 1971 reproduction set would be a better seller than the mod set, influenced me to purchase it immediately. 

Full-view of the 1971 Malibu Barbie Giftset

Barbie wears a light blue bathing suit. Christie's bathing suit, as mentioned, is red. PJ's bathing suit is pink. Each doll has a vintage personalized wrist tag. The set includes three beach towels which are neatly folded and placed behind the dolls. The towels are yellow, white, and light green. On top of their heads, each doll has a pair of pink clear lens sunglasses. Also included is a doll stand for each doll and one certificate of authenticity.

Back of the box illustrations and text


The back of the box reads: 

Surf's up with "The Sun Set!" Malibu Barbie and her beach-loving friends made a big splash with their debut in 1971. With their sun-kissed, tan skin and cool beach vibe, they're the groovy girls everyone wants to know. Each classic reproduction doll is dressed in a replica of her original swimsuit and comes with a towel, sunglasses, and vintage wrist tag. Fifty years later, Barbie the original California girl, and her friends are still making waves. 

Scroll down (at the link) to see additional photos of the 1968 Mod Set and my review of it here.

dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!