Monday, November 30, 2020

More Fashion Doll Cheap Thrills



A fellow collector who knows I love cheap (but well-made) fashion doll thrills shared the above Instagram post of dolls found at Family Dollar and Dollar General.

A day or so later I visited Family Dollar specifically looking for the two-pack of dolls the Instagramer posted and found them!

Family-Dollar-exclusive 2-Pack Trendy Fashion Dolls

It wasn't until I examined them outside the box that I noticed a slight difference in their complexions.

Still attached to the box liner, their clothing is as expected, made from shiny, paper-feeling material that screams synthetic.

Close up of their lovely faces outside the box reveals their ethnically-correct facial features. I appreciate the dark lip color that compliments their complexions.

If I decide to rebody or an attempt at it, this articulated Integrity Toys body that I purchased two of several years ago will be a perfect match.

Cons
I don't know which doll these shoes were made to fit, but it apparently was not for these dolls. I could barely force the front of one doll's foot into the shoes, and the heel is not all the way inside.

In addition to the improper fit of the shoes, the hair is rooted around the edges only leaving a huge bald spot in the middle. Restyling will be limited.

Additionally, the ends of the hair were jagged on both dolls. I thought I took a photo of the jagged ends but upon reviewing my photos, I did not. 

Another con is the stamped brand that is on the doll's back. Clothing with the back out won't be aesthetically pleasing.


The poor quality of the clothes, the shoes, rooted hair, uneven ends, and back stamp were bothersome cons. The doll's legs are hollow, but they are shapely and not pencil-thin like some dolls that have been sold at Family Dollar.

Redressing

Since the Christmas season is approaching, I decided to dress the twins in Christmas attire. I dug through my Christmas sweater stash and found two sweaters that match two pairs of leggings that fit these girls.

If you haven't noticed the complexion differences by now, the doll on the left is slightly darker than the doll on the right. Note: Their arms are very flexible and can bend in almost any position but will not hold the pose. The flexibility of the arms made redressing very easy.

The sweater worn by the doll on the left has a Snowman theme. There is a penguin carrying gifts on the other doll's sweater.

I had to cut a considerable amount of one doll's hair. The ends were very jagged and unruly and each time I trimmed, it was uneven (scissor-user's error). These twins do not like wearing their hair the same way, so it worked out anyway.

This final picture was taken after the girls had their ears pierced.

I used quilting pins to pierce their ears and to serve as stud earrings.

__________

Another doll purchase on the same day was made at Walgreens. 

While I waited for someone to meet me in Walgreen's photo department, I briefly scanned the toy aisle and found a playline Barbie that commemorates Barbie's 60 years of inspiring girls since 1959. 

The lower front of the box reads: Barbie 60 Inspiring Girls Since 1959

A facial close-up illustrates the persistent pink lip color that Mattel uses.

This doll uses the head sculpt that was first used by Pants so Pink, Fashionista #12 Barbie


Dressed in a black and white striped off-shoulder dress inspired by #1 Barbie's bathing suit, the dress has a side ruffle.



She has high-heel feet and wears silver high-heel shoes.

An image of #1 Barbie is on the back of the doll's box.

Why did I buy this doll? For the commemoration, I guess.

dbg


There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.
__________

Thank you for reading. To contact me, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!