Thursday, May 26, 2022

Doll-Related Birthday Gifts

A huge shipping box arrived the week before my birthday containing beautifully wrapped and packaged gifts.

Only doll-related birthday gifts are featured in this blog post. My first doll-related birthday gift of the year, LOL Surprise O.M.G. Queen Sways arrived in March, two months before my actual birthday. A link to the original post about Queen Sways is included below the other birthday items that came this month. Additionally, at the end of the post, I've included buy links to anything that is currently available on Amazon.


Paper Dolls
In early May, I received a package containing a beautiful, cash-enclosed birthday card, and the following two paper dolls.

Adelaide is a paper doll by Jennifer Linton that represents a young Victorian-era lady with three separate Victorian-style fashions including a nautical-style swimming suit. The other two fashions are illustrated on a separate sheet, which is not shown.

My Dolly and Me Paper Doll Book by Eileen Rudisill Miller includes two girl dolls—Maia a Black doll and Caya a white doll and their dolls, Harper and Hailey. Maia and Harper are featured on the cover. There are 32 all-occasion fashions for the dolls and their dolls. 

Requested Books
When my daughter asked what I wanted for my birthday, I included a list of books. Two are doll-related.

The Magic Doll by Adrienne Yabouza, illustrated by Elodie Nouhen, tells the story of how a young African girl was born. Her mother used a fertility doll, also known as Akua'ba, which by Ghanaian tradition helped the mother conceive her.

If I ever venture out into the community again to share my Dolls with Books exhibition, I can include The Magic Doll and my fertility dolls

I learned about The Magic Doll on one of my many searches of the culprit site that had copied content from my site and from other doll blogs. After my posts were removed from that site at my persistent insistence, I continued to search the site for the title of my blog or for key phrases that I use to see if copying from my site had resumed. It had not, but in one of my searches, a post made by Planet of the Dolls resulted. Their post, "The Doll Book of the Month Club: Books About Black Dolls" mentioned the title of my blog. After reading their informative post on books about black dolls, I immediately contacted the author to let them know their site was being bot scraped, too. I also added The Magic Doll to my post on books that feature black dolls. See a link to Planet of the Dolls' post at the end of this post. Their post will also link you to my post about books that feature black dolls.

Great News! I recently tried to access the bot scraper's website. It is down and I hope it remains down.

Buy Black How Black Women Transformed US Pop Culture by Aria S. Halliday

I asked for the Buy Black book because Black dolls are included. The author conducted extensive research for this book which, according to the back cover "examines the role American Black women play in Black consumption in the US and worldwide..." Ms. Halliday kindly includes my name in the bibliography. I will write a full review after I read it.

More Doll Gifts
The following doll gifts were included in a huge shipping box that contained other gift items. 

1/6 BJD dolls by Ucanaan, a girl and a boy, arrived in these two boxes.

These are the dolls that were in the above two boxes.

I already had these, but my girl is dressed differently. The duplicates are now twins of the newer dolls. Sometimes they will dress alike; sometimes they will not.

The new girl is photographed with her twin.

The new boy is photographed with his twin.

Because their wigs are removable and because the company makes an assortment of clothing for the dolls, each one can maintain its own personality where no two are exactly alike.

Madame Alexander Kindness Club Zola

Zola was determined to be part of my collection. I purchased another Zola in 2020. I returned that one because of its grayish-brown complexion. The returning Zola doesn't appear to have as much gray in her complexion as the returned doll. She is here to stay.

A Glitter Girls boxed birthday-themed fashion ensemble was also included in the large shipping box.

The back of the box illustrates a Glitter Girls doll wearing the fashion which includes a dress, fancy socks, shoes, a birthday hat, and a gift box.


My Glitter Girls doll will enjoy wearing this soon. 

The doll friend who sent me the items in the large shipping box is very creative. The last doll-related item in the box from her was an over-the-door organizer designed for adult shoes. It contains 26 pockets.

How is this doll-related? you ask. Well, my friend doesn't use her organizer for adult shoes. Instead...

...she uses it to store doll shoes. She sent this picture as proof. Pretty clever, right?

In the past, I had considered ordering one of these organizers to store Barbies. In this one, I inserted a Barbie into one pocket. The pocket extends to just above the doll's waist and there was room for at least one more doll, so I added another Barbie to the same pocket as illustrated next.

A Curvy and a Petite Barbie fit into one pocket of the organizer. (They are turned to the side with their faces forward.)

It will work for storing playscale dolls or shoes for 18-inch dolls or both! The necessary hardware to hang it over an interior door is included. 

Thank you to TS, BA, my daughter, and DR for my wonderful doll-related gifts. I love them all!

Links
 (Buy the book here)


©Black Doll Collecting/dbg

There are countless items to collect and write about. Black dolls chose me.

__________

Thank you for reading. Comments that are not spam are appreciated. Spam comments will not be published, so don't waste your time. To contact me directly regarding dolls or any of my posts, please use the contact form on the right of the home page, which is visible in "web view." A link to web viewing should be visible at the bottom of this page.

If you're not already a subscriber, visit, "like" and follow the Black Doll Collecting Facebook page or bookmark the Black Doll Collecting home page and visit on Tuesdays and Thursdays when typically new posts are published.

Check out what I am selling here
Check out my eBay listings here.
Please follow my sister blog Ebony-Essence of Dolls in Black.
*New*Visit/Follow DeeBeeGee's Virtual Black Doll Museum
Donate here to support this blog. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!